Tray or slot load on Pioneer

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of tray load over slot load regarding the Pioneer DVD-ROM (or any other for that matter).

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's more personal preference than anything else.

However, note that you might not be able to find a digital out on the tray load! I can't remember if the newer version of the drive has digital out - previous versions didn't.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the new DVD 500M (Pioneer tray). It doesn't have the digital out on the back side, but I used the digital through the IDE for my DVD sound anyways.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
I have had the Slot loading for a month now and I've liked it so far. Especially since I am using it with a Plextor, I can eject both disks without blocking either one. You also don't have to navigate your hand around the tray to press the eject button to open and close it every time you insert or remove a disk. Now it is a one step process. Insert, or remove. Hope this helps.

franker45

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
also, there is no risk of scratching a disk on the tray, not to mention that it's just cooler than having a plain old tray loader.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I liked the idea of slot loads ever since I saw my first one on a Compaq a few years back.

But I always wondered, what about dust getting into the slot? Does it happen and what effects does it have?

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

franker45

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
The slot opening is protected by a piece of fabric which keeps out the dust. Or at least that's what I think it's supposed to do.

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Either way, if a movie is stuck in it, you take it apart and reclaim your movie. And yes, that "curtain" on the slot load keeps it as clean as a tray would. In fact, if the DVD has a little dust, the curtain will remove some of the dust, whereas the tray will just throw the crap everywhere on the inside.

I like the slot...just because it's more convenient and looks much nicer.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.