Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

2500 gaming/streaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 3, 2013 12:08:29 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.:Sunday night

Budget Range: (e.g.:$2500-$3000) Total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.:gaming, surfing the internet, streaming and video rendering)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: No


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: This is the build I'm looking at purchasing. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H63B

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Los Angeles, Ca.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.:I want to keep the I7 and the Galaxy Cards. I know the HDs are Overkill but I have 5TB already full)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: cCurrently have a Samsung 24"...will be getting 2 more Benq to replace it with.

Additional Comments: (e.g.: I mostly stream WOW, DOTA and SC2. Would like to get into BF3, Crises and GW2 streaming.)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (It's time for an upgrade. I am currently running an intel DX58SO, Intel 920, 8gb ram, Radeon 4800 series. I will also need to replace my router...currently running with a NETGEAR 3700v2. It's not doing very well with my internet speeds.)

I appreciate any and all help to get my future system up and running and I look forward to seeing different perspectives on a good gaming/streaming rig. Thank you in advance. below is also the build I'm looking at purchasing.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H63B
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H63B/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H63B/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($135.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($127.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.89 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case ($121.18 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2604.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-02 21:07 EST-0500)

Best solution

March 3, 2013 12:28:51 AM

get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H72d

ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=78420&promoid=1026

case
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=78227

-256gb on the SSD is enough for games, the os, and the apps. the rest goes to the hard drive
-better board for cheaper. dual nics can help with your streaming if you have fast internet since you can set one of them for your gaming and one dedicated for streaming
-cheaper ram
-better CPU cooler. no more fisher price crap
-better psu
-better case
-more fps out of the 7970s than the 670s. if you want to go into playing borderlands 2, then get a 670
-you dont really need a sound card but if you want one, i can suggest one
-i personally would get a IPS panel instead of a faster TN panel. lose speed, but gain image quality
Share
March 3, 2013 12:53:40 AM

I agree with ^

try fitting in a 1440p monitor

This is what i would get

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek AEGIR SD128264 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.72 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($392.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($392.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2464.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-02 21:53 EST-0500)

The i5 does not lose in performance against the i7 in games even when streaming so there is no need to get the i7 unless you are going to do some hardcore video editing
Score
0
Related resources
March 3, 2013 1:51:50 AM

* The I7 will give very little performance gain in typical games vs the I5 and costs more
* No need for 2 SSDs - it will just make data storage more complicated
* Thermal take is not the best brand of PSU
Score
0
March 3, 2013 1:53:55 AM

TheBigTroll said:
get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H72d

ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=78420&promoid=1026

case
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=78227

-256gb on the SSD is enough for games, the os, and the apps. the rest goes to the hard drive
-better board for cheaper. dual nics can help with your streaming if you have fast internet since you can set one of them for your gaming and one dedicated for streaming
-cheaper ram
-better CPU cooler. no more fisher price crap
-better psu
-better case
-more fps out of the 7970s than the 670s. if you want to go into playing borderlands 2, then get a 670
-you dont really need a sound card but if you want one, i can suggest one
-i personally would get a IPS panel instead of a faster TN panel. lose speed, but gain image quality


I was on the fence with the motherboard.. I was thinking of the gigabyte but the Asus was better for the heat sinks. I like the case, it's simple and does the job. I'm not digging the memory only cause I'm not familiar with the overclocking aspect of it. I have to look at the monitor your talking about... I thought the benq was the way to go in all aspects to include picture quality. All in all thank you for the information.. I'll probably swap the mobo and cooler and look into swapping the video cards.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 2:02:08 AM

boulbox said:
I agree with ^

try fitting in a 1440p monitor

This is what i would get

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek AEGIR SD128264 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.72 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($392.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($392.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2464.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-02 21:53 EST-0500)

The i5 does not lose in performance against the i7 in games even when streaming so there is no need to get the i7 unless you are going to do some hardcore video editing


That monitor is a beast lol.. A little pricey for my taste. I looked into the crossfire realm and just realized a lot of the drivers are updated to fix known issues. I the reason for the galaxy cards is blizzard favors nvidia
Score
0
March 3, 2013 2:37:34 AM

If your streaming then you'll need more cpu cores, an i5 will be beaten out by an i7 and 8350.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 11:42:37 AM

Draculapkt said:
I was on the fence with the motherboard.. I was thinking of the gigabyte but the Asus was better for the heat sinks. I like the case, it's simple and does the job. I'm not digging the memory only cause I'm not familiar with the overclocking aspect of it. I have to look at the monitor your talking about... I thought the benq was the way to go in all aspects to include picture quality. All in all thank you for the information.. I'll probably swap the mobo and cooler and look into swapping the video cards.


-they are the same in terms of heatsink clearance
-you might as well get better quality by going with fractal
-you dont overclock memory. if you do, there is probably something wrong because overclocking memory doesnt improve performance
-IPS panels are the way to go. TN is never good unless 120hz, but it still doesnt fix image quality. it only makes it smoother
Score
0
March 3, 2013 11:44:26 AM

the pb278q is where monitors are at. they are like the IPS panels i showed but even better in color reproduction (PLS>IPS>VA> and lastly TN) and it has a higher resolution, hence the high price. depends if you can make use of the extra resolution.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 2:57:50 PM

coolsam360 said:
http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/displays
These are Nice. IF u can get them.
However, if u chose the BenQ for 120 hz or 3D, This beats it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
IDK if u really need a sound card.
Ur better of with the Sniper.G3
The Extra SSD isnt worth it. If ur willing get 2 256 and do RAID on them.


I like the Asus monitor... I'll switch I the benq for that one and the price is Nice.. Thank .you for the find.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 3:03:45 PM

just remember as usual, TN looks bad
Score
0
March 3, 2013 3:04:38 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-they are the same in terms of heatsink clearance
-you might as well get better quality by going with fractal
-you dont overclock memory. if you do, there is probably something wrong because overclocking memory doesnt improve performance
-IPS panels are the way to go. TN is never good unless 120hz, but it still doesnt fix image quality. it only makes it smoother


What were you referring to with regards to better quality by going with fractal?
Score
0
March 3, 2013 4:07:28 PM

their cases are better than what rosewell puts out. thicker steel, less plastic, and overall more minimalistic design.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 6:45:53 PM

after the input received so far....this is what I'm leaning towards.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hhne
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hhne/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hhne/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($135.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.89 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Gunmetal) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($297.54 @ Adorama)
Total: $2308.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-03 15:44 EST-0500)
Score
0
March 3, 2013 6:49:44 PM

-no reason to get a liquid cooler. wouldnt risk a nice explosion
-there are way better boards than what asrock offers. you can actually make proper use of a dual nic board like the gigabyte. also to note better pwm
-its cheaper to get 2x8gb kits and will allow for expansion.
-there is no reason to get the 840 pro when the m5s performs within an area where you cant tell any difference between the 2
-id rather get a arc midi r2, but if you really like the phantom look, go get the 410 instead. the full tower 630 is not needed
-the rosewell capstone is much better or the xfx black edition. no reason to get a older hx series psu
Score
0
March 3, 2013 7:18:49 PM

Sigh, when i see a build like this after all the advices, i feel that some people have no need for a brain and should just choose what looks more appetizing.

If wanting to go with NZXT Case(yes they look fancy but are usually of less quality a lot of brands) get the 810 switch or as TheBigTroll said, the 410.

I would personally go with either Fractal, Corsair, or Cooler Master(maybe lian-li and Silverstone but they are a pretty hefty price)

There is very little difference(to the mind and eyes) when comparing something like SSDs, there are lots of tests with big difference in numbers but in the real world performance, they all pretty much look and act the same so go for a quality one like the 830 or m5s or m4.

670s get outperformed by 7970s for around the same price(also more vRam which helps huge displays also something that Nvidia is really lacking on)

Aircoolers get around the same temps as the H100, if you really want water cooling and a noob at it, you can buy the H220 by swiftech

Don't bother with that monitor, i would rather spend $300 more for a nice 1440p monitor by ASUS

Score
0
March 3, 2013 7:22:16 PM

A good air cooler should be cheaper, pretty much just as effective and there are no risks of leaks.

Plus fans are generally more reliable than pumps.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 11:17:14 PM

the only reason I chose the case was for the liquid cooling.. I wasn't sure if the case I had would fit it. I since it seems liquid cooling is worthless I'll stick to CPU fans. As far as monitors go I'm not interested in spending 400+ on a monitor right now. I didn't choose the gigabyte board because I wouldn't use the extra port as suggested.. I only need one lan port and that seems the only reason people are recommending it for. Lastly for the case... I want something appealing to the eye and rock solid that will last.... I'm in the military and am constantly moving.
Score
0
March 3, 2013 11:26:43 PM

liquid cooling wont last like a heatsink. nor will a asrock board last that long. asus and gigabyte tend to be the most solid as gigabyte has a ton more copper in their boards (they are heavier for that reason) and asus tends to put good quality components even on lower end offerings. the only asrock board id consider is a z77 oc formula but that costs a fortune

if you cant use 2 ports (id highly recommend for streaming) get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
March 4, 2013 12:10:05 AM

TheBigTroll said:
liquid cooling wont last like a heatsink. nor will a asrock board last that long. asus and gigabyte tend to be the most solid as gigabyte has a ton more copper in their boards (they are heavier for that reason) and asus tends to put good quality components even on lower end offerings. the only asrock board id consider is a z77 oc formula but that costs a fortune

if you cant use 2 ports (id highly recommend for streaming) get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks man you've been a hugh help and saved me some money as well. I'm looking into cases right now and will proceed with my purchase in a couple of hours. The fractual cases look nice...debating on a full or mid size for what I have. Thanks again.
Score
0
March 4, 2013 12:13:23 AM

Asrock isn't bad. Certainly not top tier but not bad.

Perhaps not the best choice for one that will be moved around excessively though.
Sorry, I cannot really help with cases because I know almost nothing about them.
Score
0
March 4, 2013 12:27:29 AM

"Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus vs Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler" in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX full tower case?
Score
0
March 4, 2013 9:59:05 AM

you dont need a full tower.

you will see a good 5c difference between the 2 and much more silence from the phanteks cooler
Score
0
March 5, 2013 1:14:12 AM

Best answer selected by Draculapkt.
Score
0
March 5, 2013 1:17:40 AM

I will post again with what I ordered.. Much appreciation to those who provided feedback and I learned a think or two... Get what's needed to do the job not what looks good... All the time :)  the big troll thank you especially.. Your advice and knowledge was helpful
Score
0
!