Slow game loads and low FPS

Harbinger6

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I hope I'm in the right forum for this. Here goes:

I'm a husband and father of four children, so I haven't had time to play video games over the last decade except for during brief periods. This is one of those brief periods. Borderlands 2 is my current (exclusive) passion, and I picked up a relatively budget minded system:

MSI FM2-A55-E35 w/ A10-5800K
8GB 1866MHZ RAM
GTX 660
64GB SSD (on which is loaded Win 7 64 and BL2)
LG E2050T 20 inch LCD

I have done minimal messing with the BIOS, but I have shut off cool&quiet and other annoying attempts at saving our environment by minimizing the power consumption of my computer. I made sure the memory was set at 1866. I have not overclocked the processor, messed with RAM timing, or otherwise done anything that I used to do when I didn't have 4 kids and a wife.

Windows is up to date, as are all of my drivers.

Unfortunately, I pull down around 30-35 fps on max settings pretty regularly, and notice tearing and other artifacting junk while playing BL2. I have seen my frame rate drop to 14 fps or lower at certain parts of the game as well. Most frustrating, while Win7 loads in seconds, my level loading times for BL2 are three times that of a buddy with no SSD.

Just wondering if you all can point me in the general direction of some possible solutions. I also fully recognize that this is likely because I have done something dumb or not done something obvious. Feel free to berate, I haven't felt feelings in 14 years.

Thanks!

Harbinger6

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Sam: A10-5800K
Swifty: Tried that, limiting framerate, and unlimited framerate.
Voices: Tracking, was trying to save money initially and intended to crossfire. Ended up with a bit of extra cash so I bought the card. Integrated graphics are disabled. Do you think this is a CPU bottleneck issue? Why would it affect load times? Could overclocking help?

Thanks!

Harbinger6

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Nope, had a 560ti for a minute til I better-dealed the seller and returned it. The 660 is noticeably better. Maybe my expectations are too high, eh? Still, the load time thing is upsetting. It's not unplayable by any means, but I put BL2 on the SSD for a reason, right?

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hmm. That's roughly 29% free space, which is good.

That means the problem could very well be the video card. Could you do a stress test using Furmark. Here's the download link: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Harbinger6

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Swifty: I have the Kingwin ABT-750MM

Scragnoff: I ran the Furmark Benchmark 720 and scored 2850, 47FPS. At 1600X900 (my monitor's max res) with 8XMSAA I got 1029, 17FPS. At 1600X900 with no anti-aliasing I got 2309, 38FPS.