Sign in with
Your question

Reasonable Diagnosis?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2013 1:53:27 AM

Hello,
I built my first system mid-Dec: Antec 900 USB3.0, Gigabyte GA990-FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8150, Patriot G2 PC3-12800 1600 (4GB x 4), XFX Core Edition fx-785a-CLN4 Radeon 2 gb, Samsung 840 series 250 GB and Seasonic X-750 Gold, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. After a couple of weeks of satisfactory use and reassuring Prime 95 results the system shut down on me, like the power went out. This occured while shutting down my gaming client. The system would not boot. After letting the system sit for an hour or so I tried to start the system to no avail. I started my diagnostic approach by disconnecting the graphics card and, low and behold, the system would boot when the power was disconnected from my GPU. I switched PCI-e power cables from the PSU as well as PSU slots, and I also moved the graphics card to another PCI-e slot all with the same results. Would I be fairly safe in assuming my Graphics card is the culprit? Thanks in advance for any assistance and considerations.

More about : reasonable diagnosis

Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 2:01:17 AM

well, if you remove a component and the issue goes away . .i think your belief is correct. you could try the card in another rig to confirm it.

so since that 7850 is rather low end for your rig, this may be a great time to consider something of a 7870 or better . . .
m
l
January 13, 2013 2:03:03 AM

You removed the 7850 and the system booted, and putting it back made it not boot again.

Yes, time to RMA. You may also want to consider a PSU with better overvolt/short protection.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 2:12:39 AM

insert gpu ,Load default settings in bios . then power on.
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:38:22 PM

Thanks all for your responses. I placed a card from an old system in my new system and all runs fine. XFX card in old system = no-go. Looks like I sit and wait to see how XFX customer support goes. Good day to you all.
m
l
March 22, 2013 10:07:02 AM

darksparten said:
You removed the 7850 and the system booted, and putting it back made it not boot again.

Yes, time to RMA. You may also want to consider a PSU with better overvolt/short protection.

Thanks so much for placing this thought in my head. I RMA'd the initial card, which was replaced, but I had similar issues. I contacted XFX again and discussed the issue w/ their techs. They spoke highly of my Seasonic, but thought it would be worthwhile to have Seasonic see if my PS was amiss. I contacted their techsupport, who responded via email rather quickly, and RMA'd the PS. Within 3 days I had a new PS. No issues since. However, XFX sent an HD7850 Double D as a replacement for my Core edition. I cannot determine if it was my card or PS, but addressing both seems to have fixed my issue . . . at least in the mean time.
m
l
!