Sign in with
Your question

AMD A10 3.8GHZ 5800K BLACK EDITION RIG PROJECT

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 1:35:14 AM

I intend to create the following system.

AMD A10 3.8 GHZ 5800K BLACK EDITION + Radeon HD 7660D APU
ASUS F2A55-M Motherboard.
32GB Memory.
VTX3D AMD Radeon 7750 HD 4GB DDR3

I need some help though to decide what memory MHZ clock speed to choose and what kind of hard drives to have in my machine.

I have spent most of my time checking out what CPU + Graphics card to use but now its time to decide on optimizing the system.

The reason I want a A10 in crossfire with a 7750 is because it will give me the ability to have up to 6 Monitors without spending too much money.
I need 6 Monitors for work reasons. Being a Trader & Online Sales person requires a lot of organisation and I want to put the days of using 2
screens behind me.

I also want to play the next generation of games when they come out and have fairly stable frame rates. This is why I went over kill and chose the 4GB 7750. I know the card on its own could only utilize 2GB but in crossfire mode it will allow the APU some room to breath without comprising my system
memory.

Now I don't know everything. I could be wrong. What do you think?

March 3, 2013 1:46:27 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-sc...
This is the review Tom's did on memory speed and AMD APU's. It should help with which memory speed to choose. I think 32GB might be overkill too, but wont hurt either. For hard drives get a decent ssd for the OS and perhaps 2 of the same drives for a raid 1 setup for redundancy.
Related resources
March 3, 2013 1:48:38 AM

swifty_morgan said:
1866 straight up.

are you sure the 7k series card can be xfired with the on-board?

I suggested this in a build a little while ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Supposedly they can, Someone on techPowerup had benches of one xfired with a A10-5800K but its the only one I know of.
March 3, 2013 1:52:35 AM

First of all, the amount of ram is totally overkill. 8 gigs is more than enough. If you need more, go with 16 gigs. 1600 mhz should be enough for you.

If you want stable frame rates playing the latest games, invest in a more powerful gpu like the hd 7850, or if you got the cash, a 7870 or 7950.

A 64 gig or 128 gig ssd would be great for the os and a 1 TB mechanical drive for storage.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
March 3, 2013 1:56:04 AM

[quotemsg= 1600 mhz should be enough for you.

disagree, it's an APU. they need the faster ram. they were made to run 1866 "standard".
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
March 3, 2013 2:40:46 AM

The APU needs fast RAM because system RAM is graphics RAM and the extra speed makes a big difference to graphics performance .

This build uses a graphics card and that should disable the onboard graphics

Im assuming its not a gaming build . Its hopelessly underpowered for 6 monitors so what is it going to be used for?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2013 2:51:18 AM

I would go for an i5/6300 and 8gb ram and a 7870XT?
March 3, 2013 5:03:30 PM

Outlander_04 said:
The APU needs fast RAM because system RAM is graphics RAM and the extra speed makes a big difference to graphics performance .

This build uses a graphics card and that should disable the onboard graphics

Im assuming its not a gaming build . Its hopelessly underpowered for 6 monitors so what is it going to be used for?

This is more of a Hybird build. Work & Gaming.
I need 6 Monitors for Trading, Coding and E-Business.

Generally when I am gaming I will use my central Monitor which will be a 24". However when Im working I will turn on 5 other monitors which will be 17" screens.

It might not be everyones ideal A10 set up but my needs are dynamic.

I guess I will have to use the 6670.
March 3, 2013 5:39:32 PM

well, again, the crossfire you'll get from the 7750 isn't worth it. get a 7870 or a 7870xt and run with that.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
March 3, 2013 5:51:23 PM

retrophe said:
Supposedly they can, Someone on techPowerup had benches of one xfired with a A10-5800K but its the only one I know of.

a 6670 can do it. didn't run across the other card. wouldn't chance spending the money on something that might not work. you need to really do your homework on this.
March 3, 2013 6:12:40 PM

Well that is why I came to the forum.

Well you are right the 6670 will work. I am just basically trying to fish for information about the Trinity A10 but I haven't found any credible information on what it is and what it isn't compatible with.

I understand there are a lot of people who would rather have me buying a I3 + a 7850 etc but that means I will only be able to use 3 Monitors. So its not for my needs, rather theirs. And 1st I wouldn't waste my money on a I3. I would just buy an I5. I3s are good for Ultra Low Voltage Processors.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
March 3, 2013 6:48:52 PM

I think I read somewhere that "factory built" machines can do it with 7series cards but haven't really read anything about the consumer end........... but then again they might just be re-branded 6series cards..??
!