Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

HD 7970 , GTX 680 or GTX 670 ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 13, 2013 5:24:55 AM

Hello,

Help me choose a best card for money among these.. here are the links:

http://www.flipkart.com/zotac-nvidia-gtx-680-2-gb-ddr5-...

http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-hd-7970-oc-3-g...

http://www.flipkart.com/zotac-nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-zt...

well personally i am going with 7970 because it is much cheaper than 680 and it performs better than 670 am i right ??

My specs :

CPU:amd phenom 2 x4 965 BE
RAM:4gb ddr3
GPU:nvidia 9800gt(current)
PSU:corsair tx850 v2
MONITOR:V193HQV acer(may upgrade later)

Thank you !!

More about : 7970 gtx 680 gtx 670

a c 182 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 5:37:30 AM

What is your max resolution?hd 7970 is good choice for its price.i have a question if you are from india then from where you have got that cpu amd phenomen x4 as it is not realeased in india?
Score
0
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 5:50:18 AM

Also you need to get cpu cooler as you need to overclock that cpu to 3.8 or 4.0ghz atleast to balance with that high end gpu.if you really want to enjoy gaming then get i5 quad core.
Score
0
Related resources
January 13, 2013 7:05:53 AM

ASHISH65 said:
What is your max resolution?hd 7970 is good choice for its price.i have a question if you are from india then from where you have got that cpu amd phenomen x4 as it is not realeased in india?


max res 1366x768 and i got it from chennai 2yrs back
Score
0
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 7:11:04 AM

Are you going to get new monitor as for that resolution hd 7970 is big overkill.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 7:20:30 AM

ASHISH65 said:
Are you going to get new monitor as for that resolution hd 7970 is big overkill.


yea sooner or later i will upgrade that....
Score
0
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 7:25:14 AM

So i assume you will be getting atleast 1080p monitor.hd 7970 would be good choice but you need to overclock you cpu or get i5 quad core.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 7:49:08 AM

ASHISH65 said:
So i assume you will be getting atleast 1080p monitor.hd 7970 would be good choice but you need to overclock you cpu or get i5 quad core.


Thank you i will do that.How about gtx 680 both are similar in performance ?
Score
0
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 7:55:13 AM

No gtx 680 is better.but hd 7970 is also good.for gtx 680 you need new good cpu for sure
Score
0
January 13, 2013 9:21:53 AM

No if i can afford for gtx 680 then what do u say gtx 680 is better to go for it or 7970 ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 9:43:57 AM

GTX670 for sure. True that GTX680 is fastest, but it's only 6% faster on average than GTX670, and 7970 is in the middle. You couldn't see 6% just with your eyes - it's the difference between 30fps and 32fps.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 10:38:07 AM

sam_p_lay said:
GTX670 for sure. True that GTX680 is fastest, but it's only 6% faster on average than GTX670, and 7970 is in the middle. You couldn't see 6% just with your eyes - it's the difference between 30fps and 32fps.


All right thanks for the info. So how about hd 7950 or 670 or 7970 ??
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 10:42:22 AM

Definitely the GTX670. You get adaptive v-sync on it so massively superior framerates below 60 if you use v-sync. Also much more consistent/stable framerates:

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...

That's a GTX660 Ti being tested, but the stability seems to be a driver-based fix (since the GTX660 Ti was originally inconsistent unstable framerates like is standard on most hardware, but now silky smooth) so likely applies to all Kepler models.
Score
0
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 10:51:27 AM

Gtx 670 is way to go.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 10:51:33 AM

So u mean the 7970 and 7950<670 right ??
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 11:21:56 AM

That's right. No point at all in paying the extra for a 7970. Like I say, 7970 is inbetween the GTX680 and GTX670 and even the GTX680 is only 6% faster on average.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 11:28:52 AM

Well i had another option already.So i was thinking to go for 7950 because both the 7950 and 670 performs equally right ? I mean only a slight up and down frame rate can be seen ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 11:34:00 AM

Haha no, GTX670 is easily the fastest. GTX660 Ti is comparable to the 7950, so if you don't mind the inconsistency/instability of the performance and you're not bothered about adaptive v-sync or PhysX then 7950 delivers the same average framerates as GTX660 Ti.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 11:56:46 AM

Accualy with the new beta drivers the 7970 beats a 680,like all day long and the 7950 beats the 670 but then it can also beat the 680 in some cases.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 12:29:07 PM

EchoOne said:
Accualy with the new beta drivers the 7970 beats a 680,like all day long and the 7950 beats the 670 but then it can also beat the 680 in some cases.


Show me benchmarks of a 7950 beating a GTX680. As for the drivers, 7970 will beat GTX680 in SOME games. It sure as hell doesn't beat it in all games. The wins on either side are irrelevant anyway - we're talking about 5% or smaller gains on average. Some games will favour one company by a larger margin, other games favour the other company. On average, you're talking tiny single-digit % differences that aren't worth talking about. Adaptive v-sync and framerate consistency will deliver more in the way of real-world performance you can actually see. And I still want to see proof of a 7950 beating a GTX680.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 12:41:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Show me benchmarks of a 7950 beating a GTX680. As for the drivers, 7970 will beat GTX680 in SOME games. It sure as hell doesn't beat it in all games. The wins on either side are irrelevant anyway - we're talking about 5% or smaller gains on average. Some games will favour one company by a larger margin, other games favour the other company. On average, you're talking tiny single-digit % differences that aren't worth talking about. Adaptive v-sync and framerate consistency will deliver more in the way of real-world performance you can actually see. And I still want to see proof of a 7950 beating a GTX680.

Oh, haha. You're in trouble EchoOne. Show us the proof please :) 
Score
0
January 13, 2013 1:14:26 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Show me benchmarks of a 7950 beating a GTX680. As for the drivers, 7970 will beat GTX680 in SOME games. It sure as hell doesn't beat it in all games. The wins on either side are irrelevant anyway - we're talking about 5% or smaller gains on average. Some games will favour one company by a larger margin, other games favour the other company. On average, you're talking tiny single-digit % differences that aren't worth talking about. Adaptive v-sync and framerate consistency will deliver more in the way of real-world performance you can actually see. And I still want to see proof of a 7950 beating a GTX680.

Alright,I can im trying to find it,It was on HARDOCP and it was titled like (2012 gpu updated drivers benchmarks) or something of that nature,There was a few instances the 7950 was damn near close to the 680 and hence i said "It can beat it in some cases) because i have my 7950 at 1100 core and 1500 memory and i know my sig says a 7970 i messed up lol its a 7950,But im trying to find it i will post again once i find the article.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 1:29:17 PM

Alright so i found the graphs and stuff,Like i said in some cases the 7950 could beat the 680 (Once overclocked obviously) but the 7xxx series is meant to be really overclocked,My 7950 is 1100 core and 1500 mem and ive gained a good 10-15 fps so that puts it above the 680 alot of the time and i have yet to use the new drivers but i see that with the new drivers it brings it alot closer to the 680 so overclocked it beats the 680 :p 

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/12/fall_2012_gpu...

Now in this one i agree the 680 beats the 7950 hardcore in some areas but again we are putting a $300 dollar card up against a $500 dollar card,Overclock the 7950 and the playingfeild will be even in most cases but in some games that reallly favor Nvidia yeah the 680 will win by a large margrin

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=550


-EchoOne :sol: 
Score
0
January 13, 2013 1:30:16 PM

Honestly you can not really go wrong with any of the cards atm. They are all beasts, just pick how much you want to spend and buy that card imho...
Score
0
January 13, 2013 2:30:42 PM

Go for the sapphire hd7970OC edition.This card overclocks pretty well.
HD7970 and gtx680 trade blows in games at 1080p with hd7970 being ahead more.At higher resolutions hd7970 takes the lead.At 1080p if both were priced same then either of them is good as the difference in performance is not much but higher VRAM of hd7970 would come into play for newer demanding games.Sapphire HD7970 OC edition is around 27-29k in India.The custom cooled gtx680 cards are pricier which makes sapphire oc edition a much better choice overall.
The 3GB VRAM might not seem handy now with most of the games but with the details of in game scenes increasing it would become relevant in future.Max payne 3 at some scenes can use too much of VRAM.The thing is if the scene is not too heavy for too long then it won't matter much.But if the games start to take above 2GB VRAM the higher VRAM on the card then the card with higher VRAM(obviously the card should be as fast as well)would be handy.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 2:38:38 PM

From the above posts i am really confused :pt1cable:  . Ok so tell me the last opt from the three 680,670 and 7970. I think finding a best card from these could create a WAR :lol:  one thing i have understand the 670 is a better choice !! Am i right ?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 2:49:46 PM

Yeah you're right :-)

EDIT: To clear up some confusion by the way, overclocking means altering the settings on your card so that it runs at higher speeds than it's designed to. Some people prefer not to, since it voids the warranty and often adds no noticeable benefit, while others see it as "free performance" and like to push their hardware to its limits. Obviously comparing an overclocked card to a non-modified card is silly. You may have heard the term "silicon lottery" - that's about how not all hardware overclocks the same. Some 7950s for example will overclock much better than other 7950s. No way to know if you'll get a good overclock until you've bought it.
Score
0
January 13, 2013 2:55:52 PM

kd166 said:
From the above posts i am really confused :pt1cable:  . Ok so tell me the last opt from the three 680,670 and 7970. I think finding a best card from these could create a WAR :lol:  one thing i have understand the 670 is a better choice !! Am i right ?

No,for an extra little get the 7970 it overclocks like a beast and it owns at 1920x1080 :)  Hell i use my 7950 in eyefinity and play bf3 on ultra with 2msaa :) so just get the 7970 :) 
Score
0
January 14, 2013 2:21:26 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Yeah you're right :-)

EDIT: To clear up some confusion by the way, overclocking means altering the settings on your card so that it runs at higher speeds than it's designed to. Some people prefer not to, since it voids the warranty and often adds no noticeable benefit, while others see it as "free performance" and like to push their hardware to its limits. Obviously comparing an overclocked card to a non-modified card is silly. You may have heard the term "silicon lottery" - that's about how not all hardware overclocks the same. Some 7950s for example will overclock much better than other 7950s. No way to know if you'll get a good overclock until you've bought it.


So can i overclock gtx 680 or 670? And by overclocking does it void warranty really ? :ouch: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 8:15:44 AM

kd166 said:
So can i overclock gtx 680 or 670? And by overclocking does it void warranty really ? :ouch: 


You can indeed overclock any card, and yes it does.
Score
0
January 14, 2013 8:43:34 AM

sam_p_lay said:
You can indeed overclock any card, and yes it does.


But they say that "its mean for OC" like that.well it does void the warranty :??:  hm but still i am very confused which card to buy 680 or 7970 because paying so much money should have been worth.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 9:09:44 AM

You can always email some manufacturers and ask if you don't believe me :-) I've spoken with Intel personally about CPU overclocking and their position on it. When people say 'it's meant to be overclocked' they mean that overclocking is the only way they can argue for a 7950 over a GTX670. Like I say, no overclocks are guaranteed. I saw a guy recently posting about returning his card for a refund because it wasn't overclocking as high as other people who had the same model as him (I strongly doubt retailer will grant his refund!).

As for the money, you're absolutely right to research your purchase and get all the facts before spending your money. A lot of people will spend a lot of money with little to no research and then regret their purchase. I would advise against both GTX680 and 7970 though - you're paying more money than for the GTX670 yet will see no worthwhile and noticeable improvement. If GTX680 is only 6% faster on average, why pay more for it? If I was buying a current card, I'd pick up a GTX670 without a doubt. For all intents and purposes, it's same speed as the GTX680 and 7970, but it's cheaper. I'll personally be waiting until AMD and nVidia launch their 2013 models though.

By the way, when I say things like "6% faster on average", there will be games/settings where the difference is 10%. Other games difference will be 1%. So it's an overall look at performance, which is more useful for getting a general idea of speed and how it will handle future games or games that haven't been benchmarked online. And when I talk about percentages, it's useful to consider how much speed it actually represents. Even at 10%, that would turn 30fps into 33fps. Not noticeable. Only larger % differences that are really worth spending significantly more on.
Share
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 9:17:22 AM

sorry to catch this thread so late,
i just wanted to share my view.

Lets start with the 670:
it is a really good card for the price 28.5k and no regrets there, plus a few nvidia features.
680:
many people have criticized it for being a LOT more expensive than 670 but according to price the performance over the 670 is not that awesome.
Which is why many people just buy a 670 and say "i'll just oc it" then it will be very close the the stock 680!!
and it is 8k more expensive!! many people in india buy a card for 8k!!
7970:
AMD's flagship card!!!
it is really good for the price gives awesome performance.
it is for 32.6k at flipcart it is 4k more than the 670 and in this card the performance is noticeably better over he 670 unlike the 680

Final Verdict acc. to me:
680 is just a big NO
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...
it gets beaten by 7970 which is 4k cheaper!!
Now between 670 and 7970:
both are great,
7970 will give noticeably better performance than the 670.
But in no way i'm saying that 670 is not good even if u upgrade your monitor to a 1080p or even beyond ANY of these cards will be great for that.
i've given u some recent benchmarks in which 7970 beats the 670 so now it is upto u.
If u think 4k is worth the performance difference between them go for 7970.
or if u think 670's performance is enough for u just go for 670
(which is still "VERY" awesome) and save 3k!!

We are not here to make the decision for u, we are here to give u the data and necessary information so that U can make a decision that suits u.
Please refer the the benchmarks i gave and choose a card that fits YOUR needs,

Bottom line: All those cards are awesome and will give really awesome gaming performance dosen't matter which one u choose :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 9:53:02 AM

Just worth pointing out that the particular game you linked there is an AMD-sponsored game that favours AMD hardware. Better to look at a range of games and get an overall idea of performance:

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

This article gives AMD a slight edge by using their Catalyst 12.11 but older nVidia drivers. With that disadvantage, GTX680 is 1% ahead on average. With nVidia's 310.90 drivers, that 1% will increase, though probably still no more than 5% overall. Like I said before about these single-digit numbers, they're irrelevant. 5% would mean the GTX680 is getting 31.5fps where 7970 is getting 30fps. Similarly the 7970 isn't worth getting over a GTX670 - you won't be able to perceive any improvement at all.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 10:03:23 AM

dheeraj9933 said:
DAMN!!
i actually wanted to post this link
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...


Thanks for posting - I saw this when they did it but forgot which site it was. I keep seeing people going on about the "huge" 12.11 gains, talking about 10-20% average gain and thinking "it would be handy to have that 7% link to post" :-)
Score
0
January 14, 2013 3:18:22 PM

Finally i understood something really very helpful.Thanks @sam_p_lay and @dheeraj9933.Well sorry for asking again and again but can i have some more great info or anything like this regarding the 670 and 7970 ? :??: 

P.S: Wish they had two options for choosing the best answers.Really appreciable. [:panicmaster85:6]
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 3:31:23 PM

Pleasure, glad I could help :-) To be honest, I think we've covered everything. If you were gaming on a triple-monitor setup, the 7970 would have a better lead as it's geared more towards that and 30" screens. GTX670 focuses on best performance at 1080p or below. I think that's about it really.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 6:53:56 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Thanks for posting - I saw this when they did it but forgot which site it was. I keep seeing people going on about the "huge" 12.11 gains, talking about 10-20% average gain and thinking "it would be handy to have that 7% link to post" :-)


Yeah u've got idiot making claims all over this site!! :lol: 
but the 7870 DOES get 10% increase which is remarkable for driver improvements!!
and again,
u r welcome :D 

PS: How do u like my new signature? :lol: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 7:07:10 PM

kd166 said:
Finally i understood something really very helpful.Thanks @sam_p_lay and @dheeraj9933.Well sorry for asking again and again but can i have some more great info or anything like this regarding the 670 and 7970 ? :??: 

P.S: Wish they had two options for choosing the best answers.Really appreciable. [:panicmaster85:6]


the best kind of info u can get on a GPU are benchmarks of the latest drivers ,
which we gave u but if u want more,
https://www.google.com/search?client=aff-maxthon-newtab...
a GOOGLE link!! u can read all the thousand results until u feel satisfied about the info :lol: 

7970:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbrlX1_IbTM
Sapphire(the 1 which u r going to buy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49Y-4ox0kM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamgPFZSlKw

670:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_RdiAsdOok

PS: U can choose whichever best answer, sam & i dont hav a problem :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 7:38:28 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
Yeah u've got idiot making claims all over this site!! :lol: 
but the 7870 DOES get 10% increase which is remarkable for driver improvements!!
and again,
u r welcome :D 

PS: How do u like my new signature? :lol: 


Haha it made me laugh, it really works!
Score
0
January 15, 2013 1:35:32 PM

Best answer selected by kd166.
Score
0
January 15, 2013 1:38:01 PM

Thanks everybody.Sorry dheeraj as i told earlier wish they had 2 options :) . At last i have made up my mind i will buy either 670 or 7970 which i can get cheaper
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 1:45:06 PM

no need to be sorry dude,
kam se kam tere kam to aaya :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 1:45:35 PM

Have fun with your purchase :-)
Score
0
!