Sign in with
Your question

Maxtor Drive problem

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 21, 2002 9:10:34 PM

I have 3 maxtor 60 GB, 7200 RPM drives (Model: D740X-6L), that are plugged into a Promise Fast Track controller card.
These drives will sometimes just lock up, making noises like they are resetting. When this happens, it freezes the computer. When I try to reboot, they Promise card only detected 1 of the drives, and my system would not detect my
two drives that are hooked to the motherboard's IDE controller (an IBM 60GB and a WD 40GB, both 7200RPM).
If I try later, everything works fine. The drives have plenty of cooling (a fan right in front of the drives), and are very cool to the touch, so I don't think overheating is a problem (I've ran the WD's without fans for a (long) while (opps!), and they were so hot they would almost burn you. Still, no problems with them).

The motherboard is a Via Pentium 4 DDR setup...

All drivers and BIOS/firmware are the latest.

Any ideas?

KF

More about : maxtor drive problem

February 21, 2002 9:34:19 PM

What type of PSU are you running? Seems like a lot of hardware to not have a beefy PSU.

Overclocking the FSB on this machine?

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
February 21, 2002 9:35:13 PM

I have also had problems with the D740X drives, the L in 6L is for liquid barring, they are quieter and cooler, but are now known to have a problems. I cannot setup this drive on a HPT controller and I cannot use this drive in combination with Intel Application Accelerator on a normal ata100 channel off the mobo. Using fdisk is where I first noticed a problem. Asus and Abit show similar problems with that drive.

I had no problems setting up this drive on a Via or SiS chipset.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
Related resources
February 21, 2002 9:40:10 PM

Thats the first I have heard of any problems. High Point controllers suck IMO. I have been using them in the lab and haven't had any issues.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 21, 2002 11:06:13 PM

The power supply is a 400 Watt Antec. I first thought that the drives were not getting enough power, so I unplugged the two other drives and the CD-RW & DVD drives...same thing...

KF
February 22, 2002 12:43:58 AM

THe regular J series of drives works fine, its the L series that are bugged. these drives have the exact same specs other than the barring that is used. My abit TH7-II has RAID. HPT controllers work good for how cheap they are.

I pointed out a problem over a month ago with the L series of drives.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
February 22, 2002 3:05:23 AM

Quote:
I pointed out a problem over a month ago with the L series of drives.

I can vouch for that, if anyone cares. I remember FUGGER posting that they had problems.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
!