Sign in with
Your question

[New Build] How many years of gaming can I get

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 7:04:50 AM

So here's the Spec's for my new build I built I'm just curious how many years I'm looking at with high end gaming performance

CPU: i7-3930K (2011 Socket)
M/B: Asus Rampage IV Extreme (2011 Socket)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 64GB
GPU: GTX 690 4GB Dual-GPU
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W 80 Plus Silver
CPU Cooler: H100 Corsair using Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans
Case: Coolmaster Storm Trooper with Window
SSD: 240GB Intel 520 Series
HDD: 2TB WD Caviar Black

What kind of high end gaming time frame am I looking at I'm hoping atleast! 5 years

More about : build years gaming

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2013 7:10:59 AM

2yrs, maybe three if your willing to lower settings.

Quite simple, technology moves too quickly to future proof that far. A Core 2 Duo Extreme was a $1000+ CPU in 2008, by 2011 it was outperformed by the 2500k, a mid-range processor for around $200.

Get the time frame your thinking of and go backwards, would an 8800GT (fastest GPU of 2007) max out Crysis 3?
Nope.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2013 7:17:06 AM

It's always best to get an mid range build and upgrade slightly more frequently, much better bang for buck

2 x $200 cpu's over course of 6 years is better than buying an $400 cpu that won't last 6 years before needing an upgrade

same thing with GPU's except even more so with DX versions being updated every so often
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2013 7:17:07 AM

Hmmm good point so im looking around 2-3 years high on games and than downing my settings lower and lower until i just need another upgrade but at the same time around than as u say im looking at whole new tech like problem ssd's will have been alot more advanced by than high GB's less price more performance same with the rest damn but i guess i'll make a savings and every couple of years up it when needed but thanks for reply i guess theres no way to get the best when a year latter theres a new best hmm cheers
m
l
March 3, 2013 10:25:06 AM

Yes, there is no build that can ever be future-proof.

Linus, an expert in PC building, explained it in a youtube video.
m
l
March 3, 2013 10:50:11 AM

The 3930K can EASILY handle 5 years of gaming without a problem but the GPUs get outdated way too fast, you need to upgrade GPU every 2 generation at most in order to have a good gaming PC. The system you describe above has way too much ram for now, just get less and upgrade later if needed. Also 1500W is a rediculous overkill, you only need it if you ever plan of buy 4 GPUs. Get about 850W and you are ok. For eco-friendly reasons no CPU or GPU manufacturer will ever make you need that much for a single cpu + single GPU setup.
m
l
!