Hercules Game Theater XP and Cambridge Soundworks

SimonSezz

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
Hi, all--

After having some...issues...with Creative's Soundblaster Live! Platinum (mainly the fact Windows 98SE and now XP are detecting it as a VGA device and the abyssmal driver support), I'm looking at the Game Theater XP from Hercules.

Will I still be able to use my Desktop Theatre DTT2500 speakers with the new card? I know it has ports for front and rear channels, but I wanted to make sure before making another $130 investment in my computer.

Thanks in advance.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It has more connections than any other consumer card except for maybe the Platinum eX. <A HREF="http://www.impactsites2000.com/tekreview/audioxp.htm" target="_new">My review</A>, simply because I haven't posted that link in a long time.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

SimonSezz

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
Yeah, after reading other reviews I found the answer to my question, but now I have another. I didn't see mention in your review of the lack of an S/PDIF connector on the card itself. Did you find this to be an issue? I know my old Live! Platinum had it, but to be honest I don't know if it's something I need. Here's my system setup (in case it has any bearing on your answer):

Windows XP Professional
PIII-733
256 MB PC133 SDRAM
Maxtor 40 GB HD
10x DVD-ROM
TDK 24/10/40 CDR/W
(formerly) SB Live! Platinum w/ Live Drive
(currently) SB Live! Value
Creative Labs Annhialator Pro 32 MB
Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theatre DTT2500 speakers

FatBurger

Illustrious
My only request would be a headphone jack on the card, instead of the Line In. I don't use S/PDIF, so I can't really complain about it not being on the card. I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal though, especially if you don't move your computer often (I do).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>