Built this a year ago

bocybocy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Well I built my first homebuild about 1 year ago now(a bit more) it was far from low end then but I'm sort of stuck on what, if anything, I should/could buy to improve it's performance without investing wasted money. My theory on wasted is if I went from a 7950 to a 7970 for 1 more frame and spent 200+$ on it.

Basically something cost effective to make me run a bit better. Any advice is appreciated(just don't try to point me to intel I support AMD) This pc is used for gaming mostly but it's also general purpose. I only really tend to play Borderlands 2, Deus Ex, Diablo3, Final Fantasy XIV and a few other games though.

Storage: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz stock cooler

GPU: XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

on win 7 OEM.

So any suggestions on how I could quiet it down a bit, cool it off some more or make it run a bit faster? I don't want to invest in an entire new PC but would love to find something cost effective to throw in there.

bocybocy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for that, for now, most of my games are in high or maximum, diablo 3 this system just crushes it. It can't play borderlands 2 in max sadly but I feel like the CPU may not be the issue. I'm unsure if the 7800 atis are worth the cost for performance boost though, I may take your advice and wait till the end of the year.

bocybocy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
My only worry is my room tends to run a little warm, I don't have control over the heat in my apartment and by many standards it's hot.. on the stock cooler playing games for a few hours I have to stop for a bit.

I was thinking about a closed loop watercooler, as I'm not too comfortable with watercooling to do my own just yet.