Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my CPU?

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 9:01:12 AM

Hi all - I'm wondering whether or not to upgrade my CPU, and if so, how much hassle is it?
I took the brave (for me) step about 8 months ago of putting together my own cheap gaming PC, and so far have been pretty happy with it. it's not been without some niggles but overall it's doing what I want it to do (mostly playing games like GW2).
I'm now noticing that some new games' minimum requirements insist on INtel i5 CPU (specifically SImCity, which admittedly is probably more processor intensive than most?)
It's annoying as I almost chose a Sandy Bridge processor but didn't in the end, in order to shave off a few pounds.
So. How hard is it to upgrade, will an i5 processor work in my system (see below), and should I do it now, or wait?
Thanks for helping a newbie.

Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Qty: 1
Item: Asrock H61M-S H61 Socket 1155 5.1 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard - Qty: 1
Item: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Tactical Memory Module CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V - Qty: 1
Item: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - Qty: 1
Item: Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU - Qty: 1
Item: Casecom MA-1199 Shiny Black MATX Tower Case - No PSU - Qty: 1
Item: Asus HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Qty: 1

More about : upgrade cpu

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 9:53:46 AM

if you really wanted to upgrade to an i5 it would be simple since you already have the motherboard for it. the next line of intel cpus will be using a different socket so if you waited you would have to buy a new motherboard as well.

are you experiencing low fps or lag? or is the cpu usage constantly at 100% during gaming? if it is then you might want to consider upgrading. there is also the chance it could be your graphics card considering its a lower end one.
March 3, 2013 10:01:11 AM

I would say wait.

Haswell is just around the corner. See what it has offer, and if the performance isn't up to par, then go for the i5. Might I suggest the i5-3570K, as it has the most bang for the buck.

Your motherboard will handle the i5 processor with no problems.
!