Sign in with
Your question

First build, any tips/part recommendations?

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 9:55:45 AM

Hi, this is my first post!

I am going to be building a gaming computer in the next couple of months or so. I've done a fair amount of looking, and I have decided on these parts:

CPU: i7 3770k
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 2133MHz 16Gb (2 x 8Gb)
GPU: 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670
PSU: Corsair HX850
Optical: Lite-on iHAS324-98
HDD: W.D. Caviar Green 2Tb
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 64Gb
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Black
Monitor: BenQ XL2420TX

Anyone have any recommendations as to changing out parts? I have a $2500 budget (before shipping), and this build comes to around $2400 on newegg.

Also, I live in Australia, which wouldn't be a problem except newegg won't deliver here, so I need to find somewhere that will deliver here, but won't cost much more than newegg. I did look at a package redirection service, but with the total weight (31 ish kilos, came to about 82 lb) it would cost FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Finally, does anyone have any advice for building a pc for the first time? I have read 6 or 7 tutorials and watched a few videos, but I've never actually done it before.

Thanks,
Spekl
March 3, 2013 10:25:42 AM

Being Australian like me, you will know how late it is right now, so my feedback will be brief.

- PC Case Gear, MSY, Umart and Mwave, all good Aussie stores you can buy from.
- Dont need an i7 for gaming, an i5-3570k will do.
- Nope, don't get a green drive, you more than enough cash to get a nice Seagate Barracuda or WD Black. Also get a bigger SSD, 64GB wont carry you far.
- Unless your playing across multiple monitors, no need for Crossfire/SLI.
- AMD is much better value down here than Nvidia, especially with the Never Settle deals.
- Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, will cover you for dual Crossfire/SLI and is much cheaper than Corsair.
- Dont bother with RAM faster than 1600Mhz, not worth the price increase.
- Dont like your chances of finding that case in Australia.

Tips for a first builder...
Leave yourself a whole weekend to do it and clear a large work space, talking a dinner table's worth of space. Remember that "what will do" for today will be an annoyance for weeks to come.
m
l
!