sidewinder precision 2 joystick connection problems

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Help needed!
I running XP and when I plug in my stick through the usb connection and
enter sidewinder auto detect in th game controller panel nothing happens. I
continue to get "Undetected" in the panel and the sticks doesn't work in the
game. Strange thing is I have had it working previously and played flight
sims. Previously the computer detected the stick and I was able to use it.
For some reason now it wont detect. Can ayone help
Thanks
--
Persistent Pete

Is the USB port known to be working correctly with other USB devices?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help needed!
> I running XP and when I plug in my stick through the usb connection and
> enter sidewinder auto detect in th game controller panel nothing happens.
> continue to get "Undetected" in the panel and the sticks doesn't work in
> the
> game. Strange thing is I have had it working previously and played flight
> sims. Previously the computer detected the stick and I was able to use
> it.
> For some reason now it wont detect. Can ayone help
> Thanks
> --
> Persistent Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Thanks for the quick response Cari. Yes in answer to your question, tried
downloading some photos tonight via USB and it worked. Checked in device
manager and all USB are functioning properly. Am stumped!
--
Persistent Pete

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is the USB port known to be working correctly with other USB devices?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help needed!
> > I running XP and when I plug in my stick through the usb connection and
> > enter sidewinder auto detect in th game controller panel nothing happens.
> > continue to get "Undetected" in the panel and the sticks doesn't work in
> > the
> > game. Strange thing is I have had it working previously and played flight
> > sims. Previously the computer detected the stick and I was able to use
> > it.
> > For some reason now it wont detect. Can ayone help
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Persistent Pete

Try the joystick in a friend's PC... it might have gone to joystick heaven
:-(

At least it might narrow down the problem a bit.

--

> Thanks for the quick response Cari. Yes in answer to your question, tried
> downloading some photos tonight via USB and it worked. Checked in device
> manager and all USB are functioning properly. Am stumped!
> --
> Persistent Pete
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is the USB port known to be working correctly with other USB devices?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Help needed!
>> > I running XP and when I plug in my stick through the usb connection and
>> > enter sidewinder auto detect in th game controller panel nothing
>> > happens.
>> > continue to get "Undetected" in the panel and the sticks doesn't work
>> > in
>> > the
>> > game. Strange thing is I have had it working previously and played
>> > flight
>> > sims. Previously the computer detected the stick and I was able to use
>> > it.
>> > For some reason now it wont detect. Can ayone help
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > Persistent Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

hey thanks Cari for your help. The stick has now decided it will work and
the computer is recognizing it. Can't work that one out, but maybe greater
forces are at work!! Thanks again
--
Persistent Pete

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try the joystick in a friend's PC... it might have gone to joystick heaven
> :-(
>
> At least it might narrow down the problem a bit.
>
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the quick response Cari. Yes in answer to your question, tried
> > downloading some photos tonight via USB and it worked. Checked in device
> > manager and all USB are functioning properly. Am stumped!
> > --
> > Persistent Pete
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the USB port known to be working correctly with other USB devices?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

There are some capacitors in some of the USB joysticks that get completely
charged and then the system will fail to see this device if left plugged in
all the time. If you are careful you can unplug the device and short the 4
USB pins in the device temporarily, remove the shorting device and then plug
it back in the system and it should work fine.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

> hey thanks Cari for your help. The stick has now decided it will work and
> the computer is recognizing it. Can't work that one out, but maybe
> greater
> forces are at work!! Thanks again
> --
> Persistent Pete
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Try the joystick in a friend's PC... it might have gone to joystick
>> heaven
>> :-(
>>
>> At least it might narrow down the problem a bit.
>>
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "pete" <pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the quick response Cari. Yes in answer to your question,
>> > tried
>> > downloading some photos tonight via USB and it worked. Checked in
>> > device
>> > manager and all USB are functioning properly. Am stumped!
>> > --
>> > Persistent Pete

TRENDING THREADS