Sign in with
Your question

My friend got a new pc that has lower specs than mine but better FPS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2013 1:11:37 PM

Hi there,
So basically, my friend got a new desktop PC a week ago and we were both playing World of Warcraft, and he with an i5-2320 (at stock), 8GB of RAM and GTX 560 TI (stock)was getting about 20 FPS more than I was with an i5 2500k @ 4Ghz, 8gb RAM and a 6950 overclocked.

I was thinking that maybe it was because WoW was more optimized for Nvidia GPUs, but could it be something else? What can I do to make my FPS better in WoW a part from upgrading my GPU?

I'd like to add that we were BOTH PLAYING ON ULTRA, so I don't think the problem was a difference in graphic settings. Thanks for your help :) 
January 13, 2013 1:20:50 PM

WoW does tend to run better on Nvidia GPUs. In addition, the frame rate can vary a heck of a lot depending on where in the game you are and what's going on around you.

PS: Were you both playing at the same resolution as well? Resolution has a big effect on the frame rate.
January 13, 2013 1:23:09 PM

it could be just the video card being more optimized for wow.

if you are not getting below 30 fps at medium settings, you dont need a upgrade
Related resources
January 13, 2013 1:23:15 PM

Sakkura said:
WoW does tend to run better on Nvidia GPUs. In addition, the frame rate can vary a heck of a lot depending on where in the game you are and what's going on around you.

PS: Were you both playing at the same resolution as well? Resolution has a big effect on the frame rate.

I should have probably mentioned that we're both running the game at 1920x1080 and we were both in the same zone and stuff.
Anonymous
January 13, 2013 1:50:04 PM

Are you both running WoW from 7200 RPM hard disk drives, WoW constantly writes to HDD as well as reads, so if he is running SSD or Faster HDD, that will make a difference.
January 13, 2013 1:55:23 PM

Anonymous said:
Are you both running WoW from 7200 RPM hard disk drives, WoW constantly writes to HDD as well as reads, so if he is running SSD or Faster HDD, that will make a difference.

Yeah, we're both running 500gb 7200RPM drives, however his is a Western Digital drive and mine's a Hitachi drive. Not sure what difference that makes but that's the only difference I can think of. Does his PC being brand new have anything to do with it? I think it would maybe help him a little, but surely it doesn't justify the 20fps gap between us?
January 13, 2013 2:00:01 PM

He might have less processes running in the background.
January 13, 2013 2:21:03 PM

running same addons?

Run without addons to make sure...

Cheers
January 13, 2013 3:00:50 PM

try loosing the overclocks and see what happends

also

if you are both running with vsync on your frame rates will max out at the refresh rate of your monitors. What monitors are you both using? (and what framerates were you getting?)
January 13, 2013 3:16:01 PM

It's just because he's running a Nvidia card. Blizzards games run alot better on Nvidia cards, and normally his 560Ti is pretty close to your card in terms of power.
!