Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] I am building beasty PC for 3D rendering/video editing, any advice?

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 1:11:06 PM

I am building beasty PC for 3D rendering/video editing (yay)
This is my first time building a pc from scratch, I feel like I have everything somewhat under control, but I would like you guys to give advice on the components, like if there's something I am unaware of. Especially the cpu and ram has got to be running together fluently.

The hardware: (links are in danish)

CPU: AMD FX-8350, 8MB, FSB: 2600Ghz bit.ly/XLTU5O
RAM: 32GB 2400GHz Kingston HyperX Predator bit.ly/Wp3T2P
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+, 3GB bit.ly/12lS9AW
(2nd GPU: Some older, used nVidia GPU)
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX bit.ly/XPvnty

I am still deciding on the motherboard, the 750 W PSU (or higher?), to use or not to use other than standard cpu cooler, cabinet, BRD drive, HDD or SSD etc.

Extras: Win8 x64, Dell UltraSharp U2713HM, A Samsung 1920x1200 display

Do you guys have any advice on the components I am still deciding between? Anything I have forgotten to consider?

Cheers!
March 3, 2013 1:26:40 PM

I am not allowed to edit/expand above post, so I will be posting it as a reply:

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: 2000 $ == 10.000/11.000 DKR

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Renderfarm, Workstation, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, two

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: edbpriser.dk

Parts Preferences: nVidia is the only thing I'm sticking to

Overclocking: Yes, a bit (CPU 4,2 GHz oc Turbo mode)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440 and 1920 x 1200

Additional Comments: As silent as possible
March 3, 2013 6:48:08 PM

Is it possible that the FX-8350 doesn't suppert 660 Ti's PCI-E 3.0? That might be a problem or what is it? I've been looking at the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Republic of Gamers mobo
Related resources
March 3, 2013 6:50:15 PM

It will all work just fine. No need for the second GPU, it will slow things down.

What PSU will you use?
March 3, 2013 7:44:08 PM

tiny voices said:
It will all work just fine. No need for the second GPU, it will slow things down.

I won't use it for anything else than working with
The second gpu will act as a backup gpu when editing/rendering in Blender3D. When rendering on the gpu, the UI becomes unresponsive and slow, because rendering is utilizing 100% gpu. A feature makes it possible to shift viewport rendering to the other gpu as needed bit.ly/YSi6Bz

tiny voices said:
What PSU will you use?

I am still deciding between 750 W or 1000 W, and my internet is acting kind of weird so can't really do any research atm.
Any preferred PSU-manufacturers?

Thanks for your reply!
March 3, 2013 7:53:08 PM

Get one from Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic. 650w is more than enough.
February 10, 2014 12:12:32 AM

The above configuration that you have stated is very much compatible with the kind of work you have suggested and described,About the mother board i think you should stick with the 750 W PSU,As it would be suitable for your current configuration.For performance Tuning SSD will be very useful and your 3D rendering or any other work would not be affected at all.
February 10, 2014 3:37:12 AM

I have been using the FX-8350 with 16Gb of RAM and the 660 ti superclocked for about 10 months now, and I'm happy that I got it.
Thanks for your response, though
February 10, 2014 5:34:14 AM

aboveandbeyond said:
For performance Tuning SSD will be very useful and your 3D rendering or any other work would not be affected at all.

I'm almost 100% sure SSD doesn't have a greater impact on rendering.
!