"activating" ethernet ports

eejdoowad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Well, let me warn you in advance. I'm ignorant in Networking, if that's what what I'm doing is called. I apologize if this is in the wrong section.But, here's my question.

I have a router hooked up to the one ethernet port in my house that actually provides any signal. What I'm wondering is how do I get the other ethernet ports to work? I have a desktop situated about 30 feet from my router, next to an ethernet port, but that ethernet port doesn't provide any signal. Do I have to buy any fancy hardware? If there's a guide on how to do this, would you post it please? thanks

Solution
what kind of router is it?

where does the ethernet port get the signal from?

are you connecting the WAN port of the router to the ethernet port?

eejdoowad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
It's an old netgear wireless g router.
The ethernet ports get their signal from this cabinet in my wall labeled "leviton integrated networks." Inside the cabinet is what appears to be a big silicon board with multiple ethernet ports. Only two of the ports in the cabinet are actually connected to an ethernet cable. I can rewire one of the ethernet cables to any of the ethernet ports in my house, but if i do that, the port that was once connected loses its signal. So basically, right now I can only use one ethernet port at a time. I don't know what you mean by WAN, but this is how my network is connected:

The cabinet in the wall is currently connected to ethernet port 3. Ethernet port 3 is connected directly to my modem, which is then connected to my router. I noticed that my router has 4 unused ethernet ports. Do I have to use these ports to activate other ports in my house?

eejdoowad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
What's the best, most tidy way to do this. The cabinet is not big enough to fit a router, and it's definitely not big enough to fit a router and a modem, which I assume I'll need to move as well. There's barely an inch of room of space for anything to fit. I really don't want to have to leave the cabinet open and have wires dangling out connecting to a router and modem in a location I really don't want them.

cllaer

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I have a router hooked up to the one ethernet port
g.gif
in my house that actually provides any signal.