Sign in with
Your question

What is an appropriate price for a good gaming P.C.?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Skyrim
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 1:40:35 PM

Ok, so in may, I shall be purchasing a gaming P.C.

It will be used for most single player games (Xbox for multi-player) like Skyrim or Bioshock Infinite when it comes out.
I know a fair bit on P.C.'s like graphics cards and processors but I want to start out with a pre-built. What is a good price for a P.C. that can handle Skyrim on high-highest?
I was thinking around £600 ($1000) bu I don't know. Only the P.C. not keyboard, mouse monitor ect.

Thanks a lot, RageSaul

(I'll be posting another topic in April on the actual P.C. recommendation help :)  )

More about : price good gaming

a c 448 4 Gaming
March 3, 2013 4:51:19 PM

You will want to build it yourself. You will get MUCH more PC for the money.
March 3, 2013 8:09:08 PM

tiny voices said:
You will want to build it yourself. You will get MUCH more PC for the money.

Nah, it's too complicated for me, all the components and wiring, I wouldn't be able to do it. Can you answer my original question though? :sol: 
a c 448 4 Gaming
March 3, 2013 8:12:12 PM

A prebuilt, expect to pay $1300 for a system to max games. If you build it yourself, $900. Its very easy to build PC. You also will get much higher quality components. Here is a video to help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
March 4, 2013 7:08:03 PM

tiny voices said:
A prebuilt, expect to pay $1300 for a system to max games. If you build it yourself, $900. Its very easy to build PC. You also will get much higher quality components. Here is a video to help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Hmm It's tempting, but it's easy for you because you must to be quite a bit older than me. I'm a newbie to building P.C.'s and stuff. But I guess the money saved is worth it... And it would be quite fun :ange: 

You will be around in May right? :)  Because I'll need your help on building it and the parts to choose.

Thank you for all the help, Rage
a c 448 4 Gaming
March 4, 2013 7:09:14 PM

I'm 20 and I build my first computer when I was 16. Its very easy.
March 4, 2013 7:25:58 PM

You can get a PC for circa £600 that will play games, probably not at max. If you build it yourself, your money will go further...plenty of guides on Youtube and t'interwebs, you'll be fine.

Check out www.scan.co.uk for a good UK website.
March 4, 2013 7:55:18 PM

tiny voices said:
I'm 20 and I build my first computer when I was 16. Its very easy.

Hm, I'm a little younger than that but, you say it is easy (and I am the best at P.C.'s in my year at senior school :p ) sso I guess I could try... But i am REALLY worried i'd fail and had £800 go to waste :( 

The newegg videos really helped me understanding the building of a P.C.

Cheers
March 5, 2013 12:16:34 PM

Get an anti-static bracelet, build on a wooden surface, and if you buy from Scan you can add insurance to the components for a small additional fee (like, £10ish for £800 of components) so if you do frag something you'll be covered.

Take your time when you build...lots of people do it, we only seem blase because we've done it so much and it really is that easy. :) 
March 5, 2013 8:19:51 PM

diellur said:
Get an anti-static bracelet, build on a wooden surface, and if you buy from Scan you can add insurance to the components for a small additional fee (like, £10ish for £800 of components) so if you do frag something you'll be covered.

Take your time when you build...lots of people do it, we only seem blase because we've done it so much and it really is that easy. :) 

Hmm okay, I'll build it :D 

I'll have about £800 to spend, will that be enough?
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2013 12:30:57 AM

i was scared when i built my own a few months ago . but as long as you do some research, and watch the newegg videos on how to build a computer, and take your time. you will be fine . Also the satisfaction of turning it on for the first time is something i cant even put into words. the system i built would have cost me a little over $700 if i bought prebuilt . my total cost was $393 after shipping that is a savings of $307 that speaks for itself .
March 8, 2013 9:28:32 PM

bodeen2012 said:
i was scared when i built my own a few months ago . but as long as you do some research, and watch the newegg videos on how to build a computer, and take your time. you will be fine . Also the satisfaction of turning it on for the first time is something i cant even put into words. the system i built would have cost me a little over $700 if i bought prebuilt . my total cost was $393 after shipping that is a savings of $307 that speaks for itself .

So how did you work out all the wiring? It's awfully intimidating and I am being put off by it. I'm not experienced at all, I know what good proccessors and GPU's are but I cant tell the difference between a 980 to a 950 or whatever :o 

If it was your first build, how did you do it?
a b 4 Gaming
March 8, 2013 11:36:22 PM

RageSaul said:
So how did you work out all the wiring? It's awfully intimidating and I am being put off by it. I'm not experienced at all, I know what good proccessors and GPU's are but I cant tell the difference between a 980 to a 950 or whatever :o 

If it was your first build, how did you do it?

i watched this and many other howto videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
a b 4 Gaming
March 9, 2013 5:29:19 PM

RageSaul said:
I watched all these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNz6VVpWI8

Which are way simpler tutorials than new egg ones and less off-putting... Is really as easy as the video makes it out to be? I would imagine it would be a lot more time consuming though, not like 15 mins :lol: 

Thanks for the reply though :) 

took me a total of 45 minutes including getting everything out of their packages . its not really that hard. the only plugs that are a little bit of a pain is the hhd led the power led and the power button. Just read your mobo manual on how to plug these in . Everything else is pretty straightforward . the actual hard part is cable management .
March 10, 2013 5:17:48 PM

Thanks for all the help in choosing, I know these forums are bound to be biased considering it's all about building PC's but you do save money (£150-200) and its easy.

Now, I shall be building my PC in Very early may (basically the start of the month) so, when should I request components for a build? I heard new component come out monthly, so should I wait until nearer the time?

Thanks, Rage
a b 4 Gaming
March 10, 2013 5:47:55 PM

RageSaul said:
Thanks for all the help in choosing, I know these forums are bound to be biased considering it's all about building PC's but you do save money (£150-200) and its easy.

Now, I shall be building my PC in Very early may (basically the start of the month) so, when should I request components for a build? I heard new component come out monthly, so should I wait until nearer the time?

Thanks, Rage

You can start requesting parts now, if you want to be gaming the i5 3470 (non oc) or the i5 3570k are the sweet spot for gaming right now and will be more than enough. With haswell coming out around the corner IF the price is the same for the equivalent of the i5 then you can wait. The performance difference is not that large though, so if you're one of those people that cannot wait then simply don't.
March 10, 2013 5:49:56 PM

burritobob said:
You can start requesting parts now, if you want to be gaming the i5 3470 (non oc) or the i5 3570k are the sweet spot for gaming right now and will be more than enough. With haswell coming out around the corner IF the price is the same for the equivalent of the i5 then you can wait. The performance difference is not that large though, so if you're one of those people that cannot wait then simply don't.

Hm, so only new CPU's are coming out before May.

So, when will haswell come out?
March 10, 2013 9:14:25 PM

In fact forget that last one, lol I got different questions.

Okay, so I have a couple of questions on the PC building front, on this newegg video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

1.What is the firewire header, what does it do, and where did it come from?
2. At 34.30 into the video, what does the UBS header do, does it make it so the headphone and speaker jack work, or what because I thought that was HD Audio header was for?
3.At 36.10 do all those wires plug into the power supply (then of course all of the other components)?
4. At 37.12 thats where I get lost, what does that molex thing hanging down do, and I thought that there were 3 serial ata ports, and he only has 1 serial ata connector?
5. It all bluddy speeds up where he is plugging in cables, I really wish it didn't because that's the hardest part for me D:< So where did that hanging molex plug go?

All I need is someone to clear this up :)  Thanks
a b 4 Gaming
March 11, 2013 1:07:37 AM

RageSaul said:

Okay, so I have a couple of questions on the PC building front, on this newegg video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

2. At 34.30 into the video, what does the UBS header do, does it make it so the headphone and speaker jack work, or what because I thought that was HD Audio header was for?
3.At 36.10 do all those wires plug into the power supply (then of course all of the other components)?
4. At 37.12 thats where I get lost, what does that molex thing hanging down do, and I thought that there were 3 serial ata ports, and he only has 1 serial ata connector?
5. It all bluddy speeds up where he is plugging in cables, I really wish it didn't because that's the hardest part for me D:< So where did that hanging molex plug go?

u would only use this if your case has a firewire port
u mean usb header . it is for the front usb ports
yes he is using a modular psu . if you go with a regular psu they will be hardwired to the psu
the molex plug is for the fan controller on the case . the one sata cable has 3 power connectors on it
he used 2 of the sata modular sata cables . remember each cable on his psu has 3 sata power connectors
1 cable was used for the fan controller with a molex adapter and the dvd drive
the other cable was used for the harddrive and the ssd drive
March 12, 2013 12:02:14 PM

bodeen2012 said:
RageSaul said:

u would only use this if your case has a firewire port
u mean usb header . it is for the front usb ports
yes he is using a modular psu . if you go with a regular psu they will be hardwired to the psu
the molex plug is for the fan controller on the case . the one sata cable has 3 power connectors on it
he used 2 of the sata modular sata cables . remember each cable on his psu has 3 sata power connectors
1 cable was used for the fan controller with a molex adapter and the dvd drive
the other cable was used for the harddrive and the ssd drive

Ok. I get it now apart from 1 more thing.

For the answer to Q2, at 33:42 you see him plugging in USB headers, so now there are two ways? Because you said that they need to be plugged into the motherboard, if so, what was 33:42 for?
a b 4 Gaming
March 12, 2013 1:04:25 PM

Quote:
For the answer to Q2, at 33:42 you see him plugging in USB headers, so now there are two ways? Because you said that they need to be plugged into the motherboard, if so, what was 33:42 for?
he is plugging in the usb 3.0 cables to the back usb 3.0 ports . when you get closer to building your computer we will be able to give more specific instructions on how to build it . this video is just for general building and is not specific to all builds.
March 12, 2013 1:13:32 PM

bodeen2012 said:

Quote:
he is plugging in the usb 3.0 cables to the back usb 3.0 ports . when you get closer to building your computer we will be able to give more specific instructions on how to build it . this video is just for general building and is not specific to all builds.

Ok, so what was the point of those USB 3.0 cables? Like what did they do and where do they start?
!