Sign in with
Your question

Why is my framerate so bad? [XFX R7950 DD]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2013 6:43:28 PM

As the title says...

In some games, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, I'll get 60fps with everything on ultra, I have the Hi-Res Texture mod and no less than 26 miscellaneous graphic mods. (no issue here)

In contrast though, in Crysis 2, I'll get around 30-55fps with everything on ultra/hi-res textures/dx11. I thought this framerate was quite bad, and I was wondering perhaps if anyone knows why?

CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz w/Xigmatek Apache Heatsink
GPU: XFX R7950 Double Dissipation 3072 MB OC @ 900MHz
PSU: Corsair CX600W
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB

I play at 1080p.

Heat can't be an issue, the highest I've ever seen my GPU run at was 70 (typical temperatures around 50-60), and my CPU usually runs around 40-50 celsius. I have three case fans. As for the overclocking, I was very careful not to overdo it; I used MSI Afterburner & Kombustor. I didn't see an advantage in trying to overclock past 900 MHz, but if over/underclocking may help I'll do it.

I was just wondering what could be causing my low framerate, I've seen other benchmarks in Crysis 2 with reference 7950's that get better framerates than me. Anyone?
January 13, 2013 8:04:49 PM

hmm sounds really interesting, despite crysis 2 is a computer melter itself, i think that the problem is related to your game installation or the drivers for your gpu.
January 13, 2013 8:17:03 PM

Viridian112 you need to disable Blur from the graphics option (or at least have it on low). Blur is basically destroying the graphics when it is too high and it is also melting ANY gpu.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 13, 2013 8:18:17 PM

Also. Since you have a 3570K do yourself a favor and put a 40x multiplier for a free 4Ghz boost (dont forget to turn Intel Turboboost off also)
January 13, 2013 8:21:31 PM

What more you expect?You frames in crysis2 is normal.
January 14, 2013 4:42:50 PM

Quote:
hmm sounds really interesting, despite crysis 2 is a computer melter itself, i think that the problem is related to your game installation or the drivers for your gpu.

I use AMD Catalyst 12.11 drivers, the game was purchased and installed via Steam though (£11.99 on the Steam sale ftw!), would that affect it? It's worth noting that TES: Skyrim was also purchased via Steam and I have no issues.

Quote:
Viridian112 you need to disable Blur from the graphics option (or at least have it on low). Blur is basically destroying the graphics when it is too high and it is also melting ANY gpu.

Good advice, but I only saw an increase in my average FPS from about 35 to around 39-40. I still think that this is too low...

Quote:
Since you have a 3570K do yourself a favor and put a 40x multiplier for a free 4Ghz boost (dont forget to turn Intel Turboboost off also)

Do you think my CPU could possibly be a bottleneck then? I heard i5's were supposed to accommodate even the most CPU-hogging games... :cry: 

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3IiRNqseXo
^His card is clocked 300MHz higher, but he seems to have an average of around 10FPS more than me.

Also;

^Average FPS seems to be around 48 according to this benchmark, using a reference card. I'm getting around 15FPS less than the benchmark.

I hope my GPU isn't faulty. :/ 
January 14, 2013 5:48:13 PM

Viridian112 said:
Quote:

I use AMD Catalyst 12.11 drivers, the game was purchased and installed via Steam though (£11.99 on the Steam sale ftw!), would that affect it? It's worth noting that TES: Skyrim was also purchased via Steam and I have no issues.

Quote:

Good advice, but I only saw an increase in my average FPS from about 35 to around 39-40. I still think that this is too low...

Quote:
Since you have a 3570K do yourself a favor and put a 40x multiplier for a free 4Ghz boost (dont forget to turn Intel Turboboost off also)

Do you think my CPU could possibly be a bottleneck then? I heard i5's were supposed to accommodate even the most CPU-hogging games... :cry: 

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3IiRNqseXo
^His card is clocked 300MHz higher, but he seems to have an average of around 10FPS more than me.

Also;
http://media.bestofmicro.com/C/4/324436/original/crysis%202%201920.png

^Average FPS seems to be around 48 according to this benchmark, using a reference card. I'm getting around 15FPS less than the benchmark.

I hope my GPU isn't faulty. :/ 

That benchmark was done using andreline crisis2 benchmark.Which is a synthetic benchmark.And doesn't shows real world FPS.
January 15, 2013 7:59:12 PM

So you're saying my framerate is in fact normal, and there isn't a way to make it higher?
January 15, 2013 8:02:04 PM

YES.You can OC it more.
January 15, 2013 8:42:59 PM

Alright. Thanks for the information. One question though, for my current rig (i5 @ stock, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 600w corsair PSU), will I be able to OC my card to anything decent, perhaps a GHz? I have Afterburner/Kombustor installed, is the best way to just experiment, or are there some guidelines to follow?
April 2, 2013 6:02:31 AM

It's probably over heating.. mine does
!