Cisco Small-Business Router (RV110W) - firmware won't update!!

mikecisco

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hi there

Hoping someone here might be able to assist...

Purchased this router yesterday (Cisco RV110W)

Have it set up, connected and working with our existing Motorola Surfboard modem.

Been trying to update the firmware from the factory installed version (1.0.0.2) to the latest published version (1.1.0.9).... from here --> http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283879340&flowid=&softwareid=282487380&release=1.1.0.9&relind=null&rellifecycle=null&reltype=null

The problem:

When I try to install the update (via the router's GUI) it appears to be installing and displays the message: "Uploading and Processing Data".

After approximately 30-60secs the GUI reverts back to the default "login" screen (note that there is absolutely no indication on that the device has rebooted or that the file has been successfully installed etc.).

Once I "click continue" and log back in, I then confirm that the original firmware is still installed (ie. 1.0.0.2 instead of the new firmware: 1.1.0.9).

There is some mention of sometimes needing "Language Files" to be updated as well, however I cannot even find where to source these from on the, um.....well, less than intuitive cisco site! :whistle:

Things I have already done / tried:

Have been in touch with their tech support people (via email) and they have resent me a checksum'd version of the f/w file .....however this behaved exactly as above and did not work either.

Would really appreciate anyone's input or suggestions on this (has already taken the better part of two days and starting to question if I made the right purchase decision!)

Thanks

Mike

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I would return it to the retailer. That's a lot of potential missing updates between 1.0.0.2 and 1.1.0.9 and it may be that you'd have to step up in stages. That unit may have been on the shelf for a long time.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
couple of thoughts,
Does the feature you are looking the fix with the update need fixing? are you having a problem that is specificly resolved with the update? If not then it may be more pain than its worth to update the product.
Cisco support pages are very good, if a little in depth its worth spending a few hours reading all you can about the router in question.
It may only be updatable via a special password or via the console cable (serial interface) that from my updated knowledge of cisco products.
A rule i use when dealing with these type of things is use the console interface as this often has lots of feature that other web interfaces dont have. but it is harder to use.