Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2013 7:10:02 PM

This is a follow up to my last question

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/383952-31-video-signa...

Basically I had to stop in trying to fix that problem because I found that Windows wouldn't boot. It said I needed to insert the disk and repair the install, however I didn't have it anymore. I had to hunt another up and buy it.

Now I have booted from the disk and tried to repair the install twice. The first time it just didn't work, the second time it said this is a problem that cannot be fixed by the automatic repair.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM.

What I am wondering is, is there any way to get the system to boot again without losing all my files? Do I have to add a new hard drive and install Windows to that? What about upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate? Can I reinstall Windows Vista Ultimate without losing all my programs? Will reinstalling Windows even work?

More about : windows boot motherboard cpu ram change

March 3, 2013 7:43:11 PM

If you changed your motherboard that's why, windows saves onto your motherboard in a way, you will need a new copy of windows for it to boot once more.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 7:49:36 PM

"I had to hunt another up and buy it."

Does this mean you purchased a new copy of Windows? You should be able to do a clean install - this will wipe out all your data and applications.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2013 8:46:32 PM

I purchased another copy of the disk. But not a full copy of windows no.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 169 V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 8:47:46 PM

You need a new copy of windows. With a new CD key.
m
l
March 3, 2013 9:19:23 PM

Would I be able to install it without losing my stuff then? Can I do an upgrade install without actually being able to boot windows?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 169 V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 9:21:49 PM

No, you have to do a fresh install. Make a partition on the HDD for the new install. The old files will be accessible but all programs and apps will need to be reinstalled.
m
l
March 3, 2013 9:31:54 PM

I see. Would I be able to request a new product key from windows even though I used the OEM version? Or is my only choice to buy the new Windows?

As for a new partition, how would I go about making one? Don't know how to without being able to boot, but I certainly have the space.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 169 V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 9:41:40 PM

Microsoft might give you a new key. They will deactivate the old key though, if they give you a new one. You create the partition on the drive when you install windows. Just partition off the old files. (is they are 89gb then give them a 90gb partition). Install windows on the new empty partition.
March 3, 2013 9:51:20 PM

Best answer selected by Shmiggles.
m
l
March 3, 2013 9:53:02 PM

I only see the option to install to the drive or format the drive when installing windows. How exactly do you create a new partition? Don't want to accidentally destroy my old files.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 9:55:57 PM

I don't think it is a product key issue. I swapped out the motherboard and windows booted fine although I initially had some driver problems.

Later it prompted for activation but I tried online and it worked.

Sounds like a major driver issue. Probably need to reinstall fresh.
m
l
June 2, 2013 12:41:37 PM

tiny voices said:
No, you have to do a fresh install. Make a partition on the HDD for the new install. The old files will be accessible but all programs and apps will need to be reinstalled.

That is NOT true. There is a way to fix the issue without having to reinstall Windows. Check this link: http://www.dowdandassociates.com/content/howto-repair-w...
m
l
!