firmware upgrade- does it lock yor fone again?

hi,

i;ve got a 6230, and i was told that if i upgrade the software, it will
lock the fone again, to its orginal network.

is this true, cos then i would have to get it unlocked again?? thats gonna
cost £10, so is it really worth upgrading?

thanx

dev
6 answers Last reply
More about firmware upgrade lock fone again

    "DP" <DP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i;ve got a 6230, and i was told that if i upgrade the software, it will
    > lock the fone again, to its orginal network.
    >
    > is this true, cos then i would have to get it unlocked again??

    No, the phone will remain unlocked. Years ago, unlocking was achieved by
    partial flashing of the firmware to bypass the lock sequence - in that case,
    if the phone was reflashed it would end up being locked. Nowadays
    (generally) unlocking is done properly and reflashing won't affect the
    simlocks.

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
    >>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<

    yo,

    r u sure, cos the guy said it will lock it back to orange, and i'm on
    t-mobile.
    i'm gonna get it upgraded to version 5.(dunno).

    wat u think?

    dev

    > yo,
    >
    > r u sure,

    Yes, I'm sure.

    >cos the guy said it will lock it back to orange, and i'm on
    > t-mobile.

    Then the "guy" is an idiot. The only way it will get locked back to Orange
    is if the SIMlocks are manually set by whoever flashes the phone - resetting
    SIMlocks is NOT part of the normal reflash procedure.

    Who is this "guy" anyway?

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
    >>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<

    the engineer at the shop.

    > the engineer at the shop.

    Then he's either not been trained properly (unlikely if it's an official
    service centre), or you're considering having the upgrade done by someone
    who doesn't know what he's doing. I'd seriously reconsider getting the
    upgrade done somewhere else (preferably somewhere that has a clue).

    Just as a matter of interest, this wouldn't happen to be an "engineer" for
    Carphone Warehouse would it?

    BTW, please don't top-post - it only screws up the thread.

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
    >>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<

    nah, its a nokia service centre in coventry. in a shop called crown
    communications.

    i'll try it anyway, i'll see wat happens.

    > "DP" <DP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > the engineer at the shop.
    >
    > Then he's either not been trained properly (unlikely if it's an official
    > service centre), or you're considering having the upgrade done by someone
    > who doesn't know what he's doing. I'd seriously reconsider getting the
    > upgrade done somewhere else (preferably somewhere that has a clue).
    >
    > Just as a matter of interest, this wouldn't happen to be an "engineer" for
    > Carphone Warehouse would it?
    >
    > BTW, please don't top-post - it only screws up the thread.
    >
    > --

Nokia Firmware Software