firmware upgrade- does it lock yor fone again?

Last response: in Brands
Share
July 4, 2005 1:32:45 PM

hi,

i;ve got a 6230, and i was told that if i upgrade the software, it will
lock the fone again, to its orginal network.

is this true, cos then i would have to get it unlocked again?? thats gonna
cost £10, so is it really worth upgrading?

thanx

dev
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:00:37 PM

"DP" <DP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i;ve got a 6230, and i was told that if i upgrade the software, it will
> lock the fone again, to its orginal network.
>
> is this true, cos then i would have to get it unlocked again??

No, the phone will remain unlocked. Years ago, unlocking was achieved by
partial flashing of the firmware to bypass the lock sequence - in that case,
if the phone was reflashed it would end up being locked. Nowadays
(generally) unlocking is done properly and reflashing won't affect the
simlocks.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
July 4, 2005 8:36:43 PM

yo,

r u sure, cos the guy said it will lock it back to orange, and i'm on
t-mobile.
i'm gonna get it upgraded to version 5.(dunno).

wat u think?

dev

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

> "DP" <DP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > i;ve got a 6230, and i was told that if i upgrade the software, it will
> > lock the fone again, to its orginal network.
> >
> > is this true, cos then i would have to get it unlocked again??
>
> No, the phone will remain unlocked. Years ago, unlocking was achieved by
> partial flashing of the firmware to bypass the lock sequence - in that
case,
> if the phone was reflashed it would end up being locked. Nowadays
> (generally) unlocking is done properly and reflashing won't affect the
> simlocks.
>
> --

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:51:09 PM

> yo,
>
> r u sure,

Yes, I'm sure.

>cos the guy said it will lock it back to orange, and i'm on
> t-mobile.

Then the "guy" is an idiot. The only way it will get locked back to Orange
is if the SIMlocks are manually set by whoever flashes the phone - resetting
SIMlocks is NOT part of the normal reflash procedure.

Who is this "guy" anyway?

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
July 5, 2005 1:30:13 PM

the engineer at the shop.

> "DP" <DP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > yo,
> >
> > r u sure,
>
> Yes, I'm sure.
>
> >cos the guy said it will lock it back to orange, and i'm on
> > t-mobile.
>
> Then the "guy" is an idiot. The only way it will get locked back to
Orange
> is if the SIMlocks are manually set by whoever flashes the phone -
resetting
> SIMlocks is NOT part of the normal reflash procedure.
>
> Who is this "guy" anyway?
>
> --

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:31:14 PM

> the engineer at the shop.

Then he's either not been trained properly (unlikely if it's an official
service centre), or you're considering having the upgrade done by someone
who doesn't know what he's doing. I'd seriously reconsider getting the
upgrade done somewhere else (preferably somewhere that has a clue).

Just as a matter of interest, this wouldn't happen to be an "engineer" for
Carphone Warehouse would it?

BTW, please don't top-post - it only screws up the thread.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
July 5, 2005 8:42:00 PM

nah, its a nokia service centre in coventry. in a shop called crown
communications.

i'll try it anyway, i'll see wat happens.

!