Video Card Failing at 'Counter Strike: Source' Startup

Al

Hey all, I am having a problem loading Counter Strike: Source, it loads the
start up screen then I get a window that says "Failed to set video mode -
reseting to default...Game will now restart with new video settings"...it
loads the startup screen again and I get "Failed to set video mode - falling
back to safe mode settings."...it loads the startup screen one last time then
I get: "Failed to set video mode. This game has a minimum requirement of
DirectX 7.0 compatible hardware."

I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 which has run the game perfectly in the past.
Steam is up to date, CSS is up to date, my video card's drivers are up to
date, the directX from the Half Life 2 CD is installed.

Any ideas? Or is my card just plain broken?
Thanks
Alex

Hi Al,

Here's some suggestions, presented in the form of questions. ;-)

If this just started happening, would a System Restore correct the issue?
If you have any other DX based games installed, do they work?
Is it possible for you to test your card on another system?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User