Closed Solved

Connecting router to laptop for wifi from public hot spot

I live near several public hit spots. A geek told me I could configure my PC (XP) or laptop (Win 7) to act as a wifi receiver and connect that to my wireless router to distribute the Internet connection to my Blue-ray and other laptops. I can't figure out the correct steps to make it work. Anyone have a step-by-step guide to how this is done?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about connecting router laptop wifi public spot
  1. You can bridge the network connections either in Windows 7 or Windows XP between the hot spot adapter and the LAN wireless adapter.
  2. RealBeast said:
    You can bridge the network connections either in Windows 7 or Windows XP between the hot spot adapter and the LAN wireless adapter.



    Thanks. I have been told that by a geek at Best Buy, and he made it sound easy. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do it in Win XP or in Win 7. Do you know where I can get a step-by-step for this? I'm an electronics expert, but have limited knowledge when it comes to computers.
  3. What if i just buy a repeater and connect it to the input of my wireless router via the LAN ports? Then I would have a strong signal without tyeing up any computers and be able to feed my Blueray. Will that work?

    Also, am I at risk by using this Public Hot Spot? I would hope that my WEP router provides the necessary security, correct?
  4. Best answer
    jimafm said:
    Thanks. I have been told that by a geek at Best Buy, and he made it sound easy. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do it in Win XP or in Win 7. Do you know where I can get a step-by-step for this? I'm an electronics expert, but have limited knowledge when it comes to computers.


    It is very very easy to do in Windows 7: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

    Here is a guide to bridges in XP: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_understanding_bridge.mspx?mfr=true
  5. jimafm said:
    What if i just buy a repeater and connect it to the input of my wireless router via the LAN ports? Then I would have a strong signal without tyeing up any computers and be able to feed my Blueray. Will that work?

    Also, am I at risk by using this Public Hot Spot? I would hope that my WEP router provides the necessary security, correct?

    I don't think that the repeater will work.

    If you bridge a public network to an internal private network, you need to treat the internal network as public.

    WEP is not very secure, WPA/WPA2 would be preferred.
  6. Best answer selected by jimafm.
  7. Thanks a lot. It works great!
  8. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Laptops WiFi Wireless Networking