Solved

Gaming(Minecraft)/Video Editing/Workstation desktop - under $2k budget

Hello,

I am looking for a build that can really help me experience high performance gaming experience and trouble free workstation for video editing and SSH access to many dedicated servers at the same time. I want to dump this laptop that I am using now. My budget is under $2k, but it doesn't mean I have to spend all $2k. I have to buy a monitor also. Here are the details:

_ Estimated buying date: March 24, 2013 (First week of Easter 2013)
_ Frequently used software: Netflix (I watch netflix and play games at the same time), Minecraft (game), Starcraft, Filezilla, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Putty, Skype, Norton Antivirus, Java, Bandicam (important for screen recording), Fraps, Power Director, Adobe After Effects (for occasional video editing), Microsoft Office.
_ The look does NOT matter. Beautiful case or random stuffs to make it look good is unnecessary for me. I just want to focus on the best performance possible.
_ Noise is OKAY. It doesn't have to be running quietly, I am okay with sound as long as the performance is optimized for the best and the hardware as cool as possible.
_ Hard drive: 1 SSD and 1 HDD. One for OS and one for storing data.
_ Monitor resolution: 1920x1080. Doesn't need to be too big because I sit close to the monitor.
_ Video Card: Yes, it is important.
_ DVD Drive: Any kind. Just enough for me to install OS
_ Keyboard & Mouse: Yes.
_ OS: Yes, Windows 7 Home.
_ Overclocking: Yes. But it's not priority.
_ Preferred Brand: Intel
_ Memory: At least 8GB. 16GB would be better if it's proportional to the rest of the hardware.
_ Sound card: I'm not sure if a motherboard's sound card is ok enough or a seperate one.

Thank you for helping me build this machine and if you need any more details just let me know.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming minecraft video editing workstation desktop budget
  1. This is a good starting point:

    I5 3570K $229
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

    ASRock Z77 Pro 4 $109
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157306

    GSkill Ares 1866 DDR3 Ram $55 X2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550

    OCZ vertex 120GB SSD $125
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-791&ParentOnly=1

    Seagate Hard disk 1TB $79
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

    NZXT 220 Case $49
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146083

    Coolermaster 212 EVO $35
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=Coolermaster%20212EVO

    Powercolor 7850 2GB $186
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

    Seasonic 650 80+ gold $89
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

    Samsung 23 Inch OLED monitor $149
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001546

    Samsung DVD/ROM drive $17
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151258

    That should leave enough for your operating system and keep you under $1200. I don't reccommend keyboards or mice. Pick what works for you. Check out the builders guide here on the site. it'll help you troubleshoot any common pitfalls during assembly.

    Good luck and Game on.
  2. groundrat has a very good sample build. If you wanted to push more towards the $2000 region (not that it's necessary) consider swapping the 7850 for perhaps a 7870 LE if you can get your hands on it or even a 7950, both extremely strong cards at 1080p. You could also opt for a higher capacity SSD. Since memory is so cheap you could also opt for a 16GB kit for about $30 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233380
  3. CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.06 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1616.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    If you want to edit video and do it well/fast you should really look into this build, with 16gb ram you're set for life for capture/editing.

    The 7970 will be unstoppable for this purpose as well.

    I went with the i7 because you will probably utilize hyperthreading more than a normal game would because of video editing.

    EDIT: You may also want to look into this: Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($443.98 @ Newegg) not sure if this applies to every Adobe program but the CUDA core acceleration may benefit you in the long run. Though you may be losing some gaming performance if you want to edit video this is something to look at.
  4. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.85 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.97 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($100.17 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: SteelSeries 6GV/2 Wired Standard Keyboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($56.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1712.83
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-03 19:16 EST-0500)
  5. SHORYUKEN said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.85 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.97 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($100.17 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: SteelSeries 6GV/2 Wired Standard Keyboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($56.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1712.83
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-03 19:16 EST-0500)


    Thanks for reposting my build but more expensive...?
  6. burritobob said:
    Thanks for reposting my build but more expensive...?


    Except he asked for a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
  7. I can see that the coolers are different from those two. Is there any significant difference in those cooler's performance?
  8. Both Shoruken and I rec'd the 212EVO, which is $35. Burritobob rec'd the Noctua DH-14, which is the gold standard for cpu air coolers. It is three times the price of the 212. It uses two 140mm fans and is too big for most mid-tower cases.

    Other differences are smaller. A better video card, but you will not notice any difference in the programs you are using. A better case, but you said you didn't care for the flair and the NZXT 220 moves plenty of air on the cheap. The big difference is the memory. @ 1600, CAS 10 is just too slow for my tastes. I prefer memory with less latency, like CAS 8. The memory I rec'd isn't 1600 its 1866 @CAS 9, and two 8gb kits is $10 more than 16GB of 1600. If you get the Pro 4 and play with the voltages a bit that Gskill kit will hit 2400 @ CAS 8. But it works great at stock speeds as well.

    Like I said, Mice and Keyboards are personal choices. Shop around and get something you want.
  9. groundrat said:
    Both Shoruken and I rec'd the 212EVO, which is $35. Burritobob rec'd the Noctua DH-14, which is the gold standard for cpu air coolers. It is three times the price of the 212. It uses two 140mm fans and is too big for most mid-tower cases.

    Other differences are smaller. A better video card, but you will not notice any difference in the programs you are using. A better case, but you said you didn't care for the flair and the NZXT 220 moves plenty of air on the cheap. The big difference is the memory. @ 1600, CAS 10 is just too slow for my tastes. I prefer memory with less latency, like CAS 8. The memory I rec'd isn't 1600 its 1866 @CAS 9, and two 8gb kits is $10 more than 16GB of 1600. If you get the Pro 4 and play with the voltages a bit that Gskill kit will hit 2400 @ CAS 8. But it works great at stock speeds as well.

    Like I said, Mice and Keyboards are personal choices. Shop around and get something you want.


    Thanks. Which one is the better video card that you mentioned?
  10. The 7950 in SHORYUKEN's build. This would be my choice as well.

    M
  11. marshallbradley said:
    The 7950 in SHORYUKEN's build. This would be my choice as well.

    M

    The 670 is going to be a better video editor, they will perform the same.
  12. burritobob said:
    The 670 is going to be a better video editor, they will perform the same.


    Are you really trying to change his opinion by pointing out things in my build? :na:

    He'll decide whatever he wants. He needs more options then people pointing out faults.
  13. Agreed. Lay out the facts as you see them and let the poster decide. His money, his rules.
  14. groundrat said:
    Agreed. Lay out the facts as you see them and let the poster decide. His money, his rules.

    No reason why to not get better performance in the programs he requested O.o if there is something wrong with optimizing for the requested purpose please let me know, I'm promoting why my build is the best course of action to take when buying a computer, it's an investment if you're going to be investing in something might as well get the best performance out of the invest you can get.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Video Editing Systems Product