got a refund for my gxp, which drive to buy now?

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
great news, newegg was good enough to refund my failing 60gxp drive even though their not obligated to in their return policies because its an IBM product. anyway, now i'm torn on whether to buy a maxtor 60 gig or a seagate 60gig. the only thing i really care about is reliability, not hearing that crunching noise would be cool too =)
what would your suggestions be?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would seriously look at the Maxtor drive. NewEgg has some good prices on drives these days! The Barracuda series drives from Seagate have problems running in RAID arrays and generating performance, so I would shy away from that. From what I have heard they make pretty reliable drives though. Maxtor drives have been good for me personally.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maxtor service is second to none, if you do have problems with them they have an excellent exchange program. so, my vote is for maxtor also.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Another vote for Maxtor here. After the IBMs, that's where I've turned.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Maxtor or Western Digital. Either way, you'll come out. Their performace is extremely close (check out <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com" target="_new">http://www.storagereview.com</A>)

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I understood the technology in the WD Caviars is the same as in the IBM GXPs and that people are now seeing problems in the WD drives.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't by WD drives because:
1. They often fail just before the warrantee runs out
2. They send you a refurbished replacement with something like a 90 day warrantee
3. The replacement fails about 100 days later.

Every other manufacturer actually gives you a new warrantee on the replacement drive. I really don't feel like dicking around loading up a WD replacement drive just to have it fail a few months later. Most of my replacement drives go into my customers systems. They often sit here for a couple months until somebody needs one. By the time I sell them in a refurbished system, the warrantee has almost expired. But I have to warrantee my systems for 90 days. So they often fail during MY warrantee period AFTER the WD warrante expires.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
aslo to add to that some of the new wd drives use ibm parts in them

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Thx for the replies, wasnt going to buy a WD anyway cause i had one break after i slightly tapped my PC against a wall. I guess i'll buy a maxtor, but i change my mind every few hours, cause i heard the seagates were good for reliability too and they made no noise at all. anyway, i'll make up my mind some way or another, i know my indecisiveness isn't anyone's problem but mine, so anyways thx for your replies.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i found that my inforamati0on was wrong

but wd does lisnece the technology form ibm for there hard drives

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
oops, what did you did with your ibm 60gxp hd to crash it ?

im wondering about because i have the same (like many others) ?

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
after i got it it started making strange beeping like noises, then it just died one day, i used the IBM utility to restore it though and it fixed it, however i have no need for a drive i cannot trust, and since it continued "beeping" i sent it back to newegg anyway.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
My WD crapped out after about 1 1/2 years. Click of death. Can still get info from it, but the clicking eventually starts up again and cant access it while it clicks.
Got a 30 gig Seagate 5,400 from ebay cuz it was cheap. Going strong for 2 years now. Had 2 friends both with IBM drives. Both drives crapped out in under one year.
I, and my friends, are hard on computer parts though. Always pulling stuff out, moving the cases, going to LAN parties etc..

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
Guess what? I've had this IBM 4 gig HD for about 6 years now...LoL. I've shut it down wrong about 100 or more times over the years cause my comp is so slow that it keeps freezing on recent apps and games. STILL HASN'T FAILED ME! Just thought I'd share it hehe. Maybe IBM has slacked off over the years.

My computer is slower than molasses.

G

my vote is definitely for maxtor. i wouldnt use anything else. strictly for reliability reasons.

by the way i am curious to hear if anyone else has horror stories with Western Digital drives like all the ones Crashman seems to have.

and Crashman, what type of WD drives have you been using in your systems that crash so much? the caviars? AB? BB? JB?