Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PowerColor 6950 Rattle/Vibration

January 14, 2013 3:51:29 AM

As the title suggests, my card has a fairly audible rattle when the fan speed is between 20%-40%. I've been dealing with this rattle for a fairly long time, my guess is that I noticed it about a month after I completed my installation. It's been a bit more than a year now, and during this time I'm occasionally able to set my graphics card in such a way that it ceases to rattle, or is at least much less audible. I purchased a fan controller recently and some rubber grommets, as such my computer is much less audible yet this rattle is ruining that.

I'm not entirely sure what the cause of this noise is. This particular card has a dual fan configuration. If I were to stop the left inner most fan by placing my finger on it, the rattling noise would stop. Conversely if I were to stop the right outer most fan, the noise would not stop. However, if I were to apply pressure to the plastic shroud of the GPU, pushing it towards my motherboard, or holding the outer most part of the GPU up, the sound would stop. As well, I noticed this card has four red (rubber?) squares that are connected to both the PCB and the heatsink. Of these four squares, one is not connected. If I were to apply pressure, pushing down the PCB and pushing up the shroud/heatsink such that the red rubber square connects both, the rattle sound would stop.

I'm looking for advice on what to do in order to fix this rattle. Initially I wanted to take apart the card and oil the left fan to see if that would fix it, but I've never taken apart a GPU. I attempted to do it, but could see no easy way of getting the shroud off of the heat sink for this particular card. Also, I plan on getting some sort of adhesive to glue that red square back down, as that seemed to stop the sound, however I'm not sure if that would actually fix it once my fingers no longer touched the shroud. Also, I'm not quite sure what adhesive I should use for that task if someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

I believe I still have this card under warranty until October of this year, but I'd rather not RMA it as I'd be without a GPU for a while, and I don't enjoy paying shipping.