New Build

Frostey

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hey guys.

I recently just purchased a MSI 970A-G46 motherboard with an AMD FX-6300 processor and a EVGA GTX 560 TI graphics card. I've installed the motherboard and processor and all its chipsets. The problem is when I try to install the graphics card drivers, the computer goes into a "restart loop" - it restarts every time I login to the desktop. I'm installing the drivers from the EVGA website labeled "Driver - Version: 314.07" (http://www.evga.com/support/download/default.aspx).

I am only using 1 stick of 2gb DDR3 RAM with windows 7 64-bit, could this be the issue?

Frostey

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
AMD chipset only installs catalyst, the graphics drivers, I have an nVidia card. I stated which windows version I had: win7 64bit.

I've tried my old Radeon card, it works, and this card worked on my previous motherboard.

Would memory timings have anything to do with it? I've been logged in with the nVidia driver install for about 10 minutes with no restart so far.

PS: when I run cpu-z it doesn't display the clock info on the "Graphics" tab, just the name of the card and the memory size.

ruben7

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hey guys this is OP, was on my friends computer and account.

UPDATE!

I have a clean install of Windows 7 64bit on 2 hard disks I'm testing with.
Of the 2x 2gb of ram, one is for sure defective, I installed one at a time and one won't even go past motherboard logo screen, the other seems to be running fine and has passed memtest. I'm running with 1 stick right now. Reboots still randomly happen.

Now for the interesting part, EVERYTIME I run the windows experience assessment, once it gets to "Disk Performance Assessment", the computer reboots without any blue screen, nothing. I've tested this on 2 hard drives with different sata cables. Wtf could the problem be? Would anything but a bad sata connector on the motherboard cause this? RAM, PSU? Bad motherboard?

Automatic restart on error option is disabled.

PSU is Corsair VX550w, components are not overheating.

I have a 400w corsair I can test with, but it only has 1 4pin mobo connector and my mobo needs 2x 4, can I just plug 1?

ruben7

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Could it be the PSU though? This one is fairly new and worked perfectly until yesterday on my old build.

What would be causing the specific reboot on the disk assessment?

ruben7

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I think the reboots only started happening after I installed the nVidia drivers. But I got them from the official nVidia website... Would nVidia drivers conflict with Catalyst?