What GPU should I buy?

Tomalomanoose

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello, I'm a Battlefield 3 player currently looking to make the step up from PS3 by upgrading my pretty average PC. I'm not a big fan of prettiness as even on low settings, it looks better than when playing on console.
Here's the basics of the PC:
Intel core i5 660 (3.33GHz dual core).
AMD HD Radeon 6450.
8GB RAM (Don't know what brand/model).
1TB HDD.
400W PSU.

Please, for all intents and purposes speak to me as a console pleb, because that's what I am. I am just a gamer who wants more than what consoles have to offer, not a hardcore techie. In short, I don't know any PC jargon.
But what I do know is that although the i5 will run BF3 (albeit in a limited fashion), the 6450 simply will not, unless I'm content with 20FPS at the lowest settings.
So with that in mind, could you suggest the best possible GPU that isn't going to get bottlenecked by the dual core i5?
Also, are there any that wouldn't require me to buy a beefier PSU?

Tomalomanoose

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I apologise for the vague title. I have tried to edit this (after reading the "*How to Ask for Advice about Choosing a New GPU*" thread) but was told I could not edit my own post.
I also apologise for the double post, but after being denied the edit; it was the only way I could preemptively apologise for the vague title.
And I'm sorry for the excessive apologies, I'm British.

ultrakill

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Ok you could run without a problem a gtx 660 ti or non ti version

but first you need to change youre PSU 400w are not enough

get a good 550w or 600w psu

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Yup, get a good quality PSU before upgrading anything. A good quality 500W PSU will be fine (I don't think 600W will be needed).

Then, I would recommend a Radeon 7870 or GTX 660, whichever one you prefer (they perform roughly the same) but in my experience, the 7870 OCs very well if you ever wanted to try that.

Tomalomanoose

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I was thinking a 660TI prior to posting as I have a few friends with it, all of whom adore it. And I'm not going to bet a better card for less than £200, in terms of bang for your buck, there don't seem to be many cards that top it, or at least not to me. But alas I am only a rookie.
I just had no idea on whether or not the i5 660 would bottleneck it. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.