Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EVGA gtx 660 ti VS HD 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 14, 2013 10:58:17 AM

I DO NOT PLAN ON OVERCLOCKING .. maybe in the future ( except get the 660ti factory superclocked) there is no price difference between the cards.. i play mostly diablo 3 and starcraft 2 on ultra - witch i believe Nv cards favor - ... but im looking into now games such as Crysis 3, B3, and Metro ... from what ive researched AMD cards favor games like those because of memory/ bandwith/ etc etc ... i do not plan on overclocking so im wondering witch card is better ...

EVGA gtx 660Ti ..VS.. HD 7950 (1080p) .. COMMENTS AND *FACTS* WELCOME.. THX GUYS

More about : evga gtx 660 7950

a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 11:06:17 AM

the 7950 will deliver higher fps , the 660ti has a lower frame latency overall which will deliver a smoother performance in some cases. what resolution do you play on? if you play 1920 x 1080 or higher i would go with the 7950. the frame latency issue will be resolved in the next few months anyway.
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 11:12:02 AM

what about physX.. i heard thats a sick feature, and more and more games are offering it.. about 26 now i believe ... well i have a monoter i plan on playing 1920x 1080 .. and a 40' HD TV im going to switch back and forth on..

so im concluding from what i have researched myself *with your guys advice ofcourse* . that it depends on the game?

ALSO -- if i do go for the 660Ti im going to get it factory superclocked . there is no price difference between the 7950 and 660Ti (superclocked) right now... so im going to ask again.. witch do you guys prefer

EVGA 660Ti superclocked *-*VS*-* Radeon HD 7950 ????????
m
0
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 11:13:07 AM

the great randini said:
the 7950 will deliver higher fps , the 660ti has a lower frame latency overall which will deliver a smoother performance in some cases. what resolution do you play on? if you play 1920 x 1080 or higher i would go with the 7950. the frame latency issue will be resolved in the next few months anyway.



im also new at this, but this is one of the better answers i have recieved thx .. keep em commin hahaha =)
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 11:15:21 AM

They are two very close cards. Each will have the upper hand by a few frames in different games. The deciding factor, in my opinion, is PhysX.

AMD cards (Radeon) do not support PhysX and require it to either be turned off in games, or run off the CPU and doing this for 99% of people will result in a massive frame rate drop, as CPU's handle things like PhysX very poorly compared to GPU's.

As I said, the cards are so close, going back and forth in games, that PhysX would decide it for me.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 11:16:43 AM

I agree physx is appealing, its nice to have a use for youre old gear, and the 660ti has got to be a good choice for that role!
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 11:17:30 AM

Try not to play games on a TV screen. TV's have lower refresh rates than computer monitors and much, much lower pixel densities, so the image is less smooth and less defined.
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 11:18:12 AM

MatildaPersson said:
They are two very close cards. Each will have the upper hand by a few frames in different games. The deciding factor, in my opinion, is PhysX.

AMD cards (Radeon) do not support PhysX and require it to either be turned off in games, or run off the CPU and doing this for 99% of people will result in a massive frame rate drop, as CPU's handle things like PhysX very poorly compared to GPU's.

As I said, the cards are so close, going back and forth in games, that PhysX would decide it for me.




ive been leaning toward that but then again i know that if you want to OC in the future 7950 may be the way to go.. but for piece of mind...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardwar...
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 11:22:26 AM

vinman222 said:
ive been leaning toward that but then again i know that if you want to OC in the future 7950 may be the way to go.. but for piece of mind...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardwar...

Don't let overclocking decide this for you. The two cards are so close, overclocking really won't make a difference. The only decisive factor here, is PhsyX.

Nvidia tends to get driver updates for new games out sooner from my experience, too. SLI is also much less prone to microstutter than Crossfire. For whatever that's worth.

Pick up the 660 and enjoy it :D 
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 11:31:24 AM

The difference here is like looking at two different cars, both have great handling and performance the 7950 model has more raw horsepower but the 660ti has more features and options.

From a driving experience point of view you would not ever tell the difference except in the top end.
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 12:51:58 PM

MatildaPersson said:
Try not to play games on a TV screen. TV's have lower refresh rates than computer monitors and much, much lower pixel densities, so the image is less smooth and less defined.


That depends on the TV. My sony Bravia internet TV looks like any other PC screen. and that Panel runs at 1920x1080@60hz. And looks fantastic if you ask me. But ye like a said. depends on what TV hes going to use. If its one of those sub standard tv's with a refresh rate of 40-50hz and 720P its not gonna look very good. my brother has got a Samsung 42 inch 1920x1080@240hz which he uses to play his PC games on and that looks fantastic.
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 1:13:52 PM

yoooooooo... i just found out that AMD HD 7950 can run physX... but instead of on your GPU its on your CPU so gameplay may suffer a littlebit .. witch i suppose is when OC comes in.. what do you think? does that now favor AMD?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 1:25:48 PM

If you are going to be playing at 1080p or lower go with the 660 Ti. If you are Gaming at 1440p + or multi monitor get the 7950. I don't believe you can play games with high physx without a nvidia card. You can play Physx on the amd but it will be off the CPU and i think it only works with low-medium physx, but i could be wrong.
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 2:08:52 PM

Cromat88 said:
That depends on the TV. My sony Bravia internet TV looks like any other PC screen. and that Panel runs at 1920x1080@60hz. And looks fantastic if you ask me. But ye like a said. depends on what TV hes going to use. If its one of those sub standard tv's with a refresh rate of 40-50hz and 720P its not gonna look very good. my brother has got a Samsung 42 inch 1920x1080@240hz which he uses to play his PC games on and that looks fantastic.

I actually meant to say response time, not refresh rate. My bad!

TV's have a much slower response time and a much, much lower pixel density, leading to less crisp images and more blur. You might be fine with it, but for someone like me, it's PC monitor or nothing! :p 
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 2:10:18 PM

vinman222 said:
yoooooooo... i just found out that AMD HD 7950 can run physX... but instead of on your GPU its on your CPU so gameplay may suffer a littlebit .. witch i suppose is when OC comes in.. what do you think? does that now favor AMD?

Running PhysX on a CPU is never good. The CPU struggles to do the GPU's job and you will lose a ton of frames. No amount of overclocking will make up for that. You also simply can't have the same level of PhysX on a CPU as on a GPU -- as in, you will never have the full PhysX experience from a Radeon card.

The cards are the same and every one will overclock differently. Just get the 660 and enjoy the PhysX.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 14, 2013 2:20:31 PM

If physx is important to you, the 660 Ti is a no brainer.
m
0
l
!