Transferring files

xxyurixx

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
hey i know this isnt the play but its looks like no one gives a crap in the storage forum so sorry...

i bought a new computer and i want to transfer the field from my old one to the new one
on the old one wd caviar blue 500 crap
on the new one 2 tb seagate barracuda
how can i do this?
can i just plug the old hard drive into the new computer transfer the files and then remove it ?
or i need to do something before or after or i don't know something special to do that?
can some one give me a guide or something?

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi xxyurixx!

You're right, this is the wrong place in the forums.

Anyhoo, now that you're here, might as well answer your question.

If you're just transferring documents, then just go ahead and plug in the new HDD into your system. Be sure to remember to power off first, though. Copy the files from the WD Caviar and paste them into the Seagate Barracuda.

If you're going to completely transfer your old system, then it involves a more complicated process. A previous thread should answer your question: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252671-32-hard-drive-transfer-question .

If you are just talking about data from the old drive, then, Yes, you could just install the old drive into the new computer then just drag & drop the files you want. However if you are talking about applications(programs) then they ned to be installed on the new PC, you can't just copy them over & expect them to work.

xxyurixx

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
yeah i am talking just about some movies and videos and this thing no programs
the windows will be new ok so
plug it in power the computer configure it on the control panel
then copy it to the other hard drive then turn the computer off and just plug it out
and thats it?
the windows from my old computer is installed on the caviar blue but since its not loading from it there is no problem right?
there wont be a conflict?

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Yes, there won't be any conflicts. :)