CPU almost always on 100% and high temperatures

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello, i've got the following problems with my pc: The cpu is almost always on 100% usage and the temperature varies from 85C-95C.
My system is:
Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5K Premium
2x DDR2 1024MB
1x DDR2 2048MB
Radeon HD 4650

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi Sleazyroxx!

Can you describe how your chassis is set up? Fan placements? Are all fan-blades whirling?

Also, is there a considerable dust build-up inside your case?

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
My case tbh, is one of the worst. It's Thermaltake Soprano Dx. One fan on the front, and one on the back, that's all :p
When it comes to dust, nope, i cleaned it up the other day completely but that didn't fix the problem.
I believe all the fans are whirling, but tbh i can hear a grinding noise all the time

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Update:
According to SpeedFan the only ones that have 0 RPM is CPU1, Aux1 and Chassis 2.
All the rest, sys, cpu0, aux0, cpu, chassis1 and chassis 3 work normally.

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
What's the speed of the CPU heatsink fan?

Can you also post a screenshot of your Resource Monitor? This way we can see what's eating up your cpu usage.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

When you say heatsink fan idk which one you mean, but im gonna post whatever comes in mind:
Sys Fan: 3444 RPM
CPU0 Fan: 1148 RPM
Aux0 Fan: 1985 RPM
CPU: 1140 RPM

also here's the SS from RM:
b865gg.jpg

What's also troubling me is the temperature of the CPU

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hmm..

Have you done a virus scan recently? Most usually high cpu usages with nothing running (that you know of), mean stealthed programs doing illegal activity in the background.

The high cpu temperature is an indication that the heatsink fan is unable to lower the temperature. This temperature resulted from the high cpu usage. If we can lower the usage, we can lower the temperature.

If you do a safe boot, is the cpu usage still the same?

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Seeing your Resource Monitor screenshot, Chrome was eating up your CPU. Try to close Chrome and see what comes next on your cpu usage. If it is system interrupts ... probably you have Hardware problem with your computer (I experience it before and found out that my SATA port is broken).

If nothing is eating up your cpu and your cpu temp still high, probably you need to re-apply the thermal paste on your cpu and reinstall the cooler.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Nope, i don't have any virus related issues, and also when i do a safe boot it's still the same.
Also what hasappra said might be correct. When i close Chrome, the Usage is stabilized to 3-4% with just some rare spikes to 50% from sqlsrv. It might be a cooler / thermal paste problem.
Any ideas when it comes to the grinding noise? (though it might be almost anything) Could it be the result of the cooler?
Also since i've been running my machine with that temps for quite a while, do you think i might have damaged the cpu?

justmatel

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
it could be a chrome problem then? Try using another internet browser, Also the grinding noise could be a few different parts of the PC, so i'm not sure.

Running the CPU With high temperatures I'm assuming would take its toll.

I also assume your just using ur PC to run the net? nothing too heavy (Graphically speaking)?

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Maybe one or two League of Legends game, every now and then, but the temperature still stays the same

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
If you suspect the grinding noise comes from your CPU cooler, you can try to unplug the Fan cable while your computer is running (only the CPU cooler fan cable, do not unplug the other cable though hehehe). If the noise is gone, so that's the culprit. It's time for you to change the fan. BTW, do not unplug the Fan too long, your CPU still need some cool air :p. Well, if the problem really is your fan, for temporary solution, open your CPU case and blow it using electric desk fan and see if it can cool down your CPU temp.

Sleazyroxx

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Okay i'll check it out abit later and report my findings :p Do you think i made good choices there for a cooler and paste?

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Well, the only good thing about that cooler, it's cheap. It's almost exactly the same as the intel stock cooler. It's only 2 or 3 degrees celsius cooler. If you are satisfied with intel stock cooler, that's the way to go. :)

About the paste ... sorry I don't know much about that :p.

TRENDING THREADS