New System -- poor card choice -- Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamc6

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hello,
I bought a Dell XPS 8500, Win 7 64 bit, i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, but I had a brain freeze thinking the Gt 620 was a decent video card.
I play games like Mount and Blade: Warband and Call of Duty (and they run fine) on an older system, (XPS 410, WinXP 32 bit, 4 GB RAM, GT 430).

The GT 620 has 1GB -- where as the GT 430 on my older system was 528 MB ....so I thought I was upgrading.

I noticed poor performance on Warband (a first person slasher game) on the new system and then realized my mistake.

I hate to go buy something new right away......should I swap the video cards? Or just suck it up and go spend some more money.

If upgrade, looking at $150 or below price range.

I should have done my homework....big dummy.
Thanks.
Adam

Solution

If that unit is the generic cheap one, I seriously recommend you to replace it first. Units like Antec VP-450 is pretty cheap and you can get that psu and a Sapphire HD7770 at a total of $154 (on Newegg).

EzioAs

Distinguished
At $150, your best choice is the GTX650ti. Slightly below it is the HD7770 ($130 or so) and above it is the HD7850 1GB($around 170). If it's possible for you to stretch your budget a little bit, get the 7850 1GB. If not, a GTX650ti will be fine.

What is your power supply specific model though? You really don't want these cards installed in some cheap units.

hi, well for $150 you can pick up 7770...you should wait as new amd graphics are around the corner and upgrade then to get the best bang for your buck
also make sure your power supply is strong enough (watts) for future cards as faster cards take additional power

EzioAs

Distinguished

If that unit is the generic cheap one, I seriously recommend you to replace it first. Units like Antec VP-450 is pretty cheap and you can get that psu and a Sapphire HD7770 at a total of $154 (on Newegg).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.