Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or New Rig???

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2013 11:52:17 AM

Hello all,

This is my forst forum post so go easy.

I have recently started to PC game as well as use larger programs (photoshop/sony vegas etc) and was looking to either upgrade my current rig or overhaul it completely.

What would be my best options for both. I am on a tight (ish) budget also.

I really want to be able to multi task much more than I can and get better FPS during games like ARMA 2

Current set up: -

Intel Quad Q6600 2.6GHz
P5NE SLI MOBO
500gb HDD
4gb corsaire Ram
Nvidia 8800 GTX (overclocked)
Vista Ultimate

(i know its old)

Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : upgrade rig

March 4, 2013 11:59:20 AM

Well if you really wanted to, you could just upgrade. But if it were me, I'd be building a new rig ground-up, I mean, your rig's quite a few generations old anyway.
Or if all you wanted was just a boost in performance and nothing else, just grab a new GPU and you're pretty much set. Just make sure your PSU has enough capacity to accommodate it.
March 4, 2013 12:02:28 PM

Hi jimbobsey!

I'd suggest getting a new rig. But don't do it just yet, wait for the new CPUs to come out before deciding anything.
Related resources
March 4, 2013 12:02:39 PM

Is this a store PC?
cuz q6600(2,4ghz) its nice , and easy to oc to 3.0 ghz,with an aftermarket cooler (30$), and then buy a decent video card , one that can be used in your future build.That will run ok,
And then slowly think about building a new system , in June new Intel cpus are coming , you can decide then ,what you want
March 4, 2013 12:08:41 PM

It's not a store pc - it was built a long time ago.

I will be building a new rig eventually but for now I like the idea of a new GPU. Would that work with my current set up? And if yes, any recommendations?
March 4, 2013 12:09:09 PM

I will be building a new rig eventually but for now I like the idea of a new GPU. Would that work with my current set up? And if yes, any recommendations?
March 4, 2013 12:09:15 PM

March 4, 2013 12:13:11 PM

Yes, any card will work , buy 1 that nice for the future, make sure the psu is min500w,or if you think sli/crossfire ,buy 750 min , oc your q6600 to 3ghz , and cary on , and you already started a new build (video card and psu -if nedeed)
March 4, 2013 12:15:34 PM

Recommendation ?
We need to know a budget, based on that you will pick the right parts .
March 4, 2013 12:18:06 PM

Will I really need an extra cooler if I OC the CPU. I'd rather not SLI - my case isn't really no enough. Is the GTX 600 any good?
March 4, 2013 12:18:13 PM

Will I really need an extra cooler if I OC the CPU. I'd rather not SLI - my case isn't really no enough. Is the GTX 600 any good?
March 4, 2013 12:26:43 PM

Probably, stock cooler is mediocre at best for overclocking. You MIGHT be able to get by, but I'm not too sure, better to just go with a cheap aftermarket cooler for your CPU.
GTX 600 doesn't exist :p  I do suggest the 660 though if you want to go with Nvidia. I'm not too familiar with AMD so that's all I can really suggest, some more suggestions from members with AMD cards would be helpful though.
March 4, 2013 12:29:23 PM

Ahh. - typo. I meant the 660. I've only ever used nvidia - I'm not saying I wouldn't use AMD though
March 4, 2013 12:29:36 PM

Ahh. - typo. I meant the 660. I've only ever used nvidia - I'm not saying I wouldn't use AMD though
March 4, 2013 1:04:07 PM

any cooler aftermarket is better than stock , and all of them will go with socket 775 and 1155 or new amd sockets, cuz looks to me like you don't want to spend to much, so you got yourself a future gpu, cooler, and psu if needed .you can wait a month for 7790 -they say it will be a nice card for around 160-190$
March 4, 2013 1:51:35 PM

Sounds good. Ill take a look at the 7790 now.
March 5, 2013 4:58:48 AM

The 7790 hasn't even been released yet. :p 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 5:57:43 AM

Q6600?
It is better to upgrade your PC little by little until you end up with a complete new PC.

Here are my priorities if I were to upgrade such rig:

Prio 1:
Get an SSD and/or get a newer GPU at least HD7850
Optional prio 1:
Add more RAM, get used items from ebay. The new modules do not worth the price anymore

Prio 2:
New proc, new RAM, mobo

Prio 3 and only if needed:
New PSU, bigger mechanical HDD, Blue-ray burner, new and bigger monitor, Win7 or Win8 x64, etc.
March 5, 2013 6:31:07 AM

Thanks for the advice people - much appreciated
March 5, 2013 6:46:28 AM

Q6600 is old but liveable. The biggest need is a new GPU.
A 7850/7870 would be a decent choice for that CPU if it is in the budget.
March 5, 2013 7:24:54 AM

SSD should probably be near the bottom of the list, it's a luxury item and he can get by on an HDD easily.
Imo, my priorities would look something like this:
1: GPU
2: PSU
3: CPU, MB, RAM.
4: Monitor (If you really want a bigger monitor)
5: SSD, misc

A bigger HD isn't really necessary unless you have lots of media.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 7:46:41 AM

-Jackson said:
SSD should probably be near the bottom of the list, it's a luxury item and he can get by on an HDD easily.

I can see that you have never tasted the speed of an SSD.
Such comments come only from those without any SSD experience.

7-9 seconds booting time...under Win7 pro x64...6-8 seconds of booting time under Win8 pro x64...BIOS loading takes longer than the pure Windows booting.
I do not even have to bother having my rig to go to sleep mode...cold boot will do just fine...
Less than 1 second waiting time everytime you click firefox for example.
Only several seconds (under 5 seconds) on loading screen for Skyrim, Torchlight 2, Mass effect 3, etc.

My Crucial M4 is the best upgrade I made so far.
I paid about €149 for it 19 months ago and my Q6600 system is 2-3x faster than before.
I am postponing my processor update plan since I got an SSD....even thinking to skip Ivybridge and wait further...

Edit: I can live with several frame per second less as long as the games are playable. I hate waiting more.
Edit: SSD reduces the waiting time during loading like heaven and earth compared to normal mechanical HDD.

March 5, 2013 1:03:01 PM

Yeah, while you save on waiting time, the practicality of this is fairly trivial, with the exception of the transfer of large files.
I'm patient enough to wait a few extra seconds. Besides, loading faster on online games has it's downsides ie. While you may have finished loading, you'll be waiting for other people to load, so the time saved is pretty moot.
As for booting, I keep my PC on 24/7 so it's not a problem, but if I do need to reboot, it doesn't take more than a few seconds; Disabled some boot messages and I boot just as fast.

Really, I would choose a Mobo over an SSD if I was upgrading my PC. The only performance increase I would get from an SSD would be in terms of read/write. Nothing more.
March 5, 2013 4:35:25 PM

I would have to agree with "-Jackson"
Most people are patent to wait a few seconds. I would much rather more frames per second and more overall GPU and CPU power than faster bootups and load times.

Depends on the person I guess.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 6:41:58 PM

and...24/7 pc...I do not have something like that for main pc...
The only one running 24/7 is only my data server (DLNA and cloud too).
Of course, an SSD is a complete nonsense in my opinion for such server.

but...I do not play games with my server.
My server was designed to be low powered, data redundant, enough capacity and fast enough..

My main PC, Q6600 should be simply faster, have more performance...that includes faster loading in games and during booting....and so on
I shut down my main PC completely everytime I go to work and if I'm gong to leave my main pc for more than 1 hour.
If I am running my main Q6600 system 24/7...that system would have eaten up most of my electrical bill..

more frames per second...40+ should be still playable also...mega ulltra ultra super high setting is not a must....100x AA...etc. ...etc....more frame per second will need to be upgraded desperately if you get somewhere below 40...
Depending on the condition you can choose if you want to have SSD or not...

Especially if your proc is already bottlenecking the game to an unaccepted state...updating the proc will be put on higher prio than an SSD.

and...regarding what to upgrade.....it depends on how your PC can still perform...Q6600 + DDR2 can still perform quite well...here I would choose SSD first...
But if I still used P4 or older for example...new mobo, proc and RAM are 1000x more important than an SSD.

BTW....8800GTX is also put as prio 1 to be replaced...choose...the SSD or a new and more powerfull GPU...only with one of those two or both...you can already recognize a huge boost...
The rest can wait...unless you want to upgrade everything with one swoop.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 6:47:20 PM

ah...we come to the point on how much you want to spend...how tight is your budget?

If you have enough only for proc, mobo, RAM and GPU...postpone SSD
If you do not have enough...SSD and/or GPU only...
If you afford everything go for all..

If you choose the first path:
FX8350 or i5 3570k should be sufficient
8GB DDR3 1600 CL9
HD7850 or higher...nVidias equivalent or better should also work...
March 5, 2013 7:07:05 PM

I only turn my computer off when I go to bed. As soon as I wake up, I hit power button then go and get a glass of water or juice and get some other things ready. By that time it is already booted.

I don't see much of a need of an SSD in that case. Turning off the computer every time you expect to leave it for > 1 hour is kind of insane IMO.

Then again I have so much electrical equipment, the electric bill averages around $200 anyway so the computer is only a tiny part. (and I usually have two computers on at once)

I guest the moral is please do not assume everyone cares about the same kind of speed.
March 6, 2013 5:15:06 AM

I keep my computer on 24/7 because it's just easier that way. Not to mention it lights up my room nicely so I don't need to use my lamp so often and the lighting helps me fall asleep. :p 
!