Bricked GPU, can anything be done?

Joris

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hello, so i have a problem i have this Nvidia Gt220 1Gb from ''Sparkle'' and its not working.The fan is not spinning and the screen is black although when i place it in the computer and use the integrated graphics (that normaly wouldn't work if theres a PCI-e card) the gt220 warms up a little bit not much but it should be much cause on idle it never was hot (~35C).Now my question is can something be done to try revive it? and another question is is it normal that when watching youtube on HD i get a blue screen of death and freezes-crashes when my graphics is powered by the integrated chip i use ASUS P5B-MX Motherboard and i suppose its cause of overheating because the temp. is about ~70C on system the ''speedfan'' says.

Thank You!

-Joris

if the fan not moving then the card has died. I would go on sparkle web page and see if it still under warranty. if not i would replace it with a newer nvidia card that uses the same wattage as the old card.

Joris

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
ok but one notice the card gets warm doesn't that mean anything showing signs of live perhaps..?

and if im gonna replace it will gt610 be a similar card in terms of performance?
or perhaps it would outperform the gt220? or the opposite?

Thanks!

MC_K7

Distinguished
Did the card worked before? Can you try it in another system? If it does the same thing in another computer it's likely dead. And no, I don't see how you can revive it. Check if it still under warranty maybe you can RMA it.

Now concerning your other problem, yes it is perfectly normal to get blue screen when going on youtube. Lol, no just kidding it ain't normal. Did you install the latest drivers from Intel for your integrated card? I bet this would solve your problem. I also recommend to remove the GT220 from the system if it's not working.

What component is 70C exactly? It looks really hot to me no matter what it is. Is it the CPU? Make sure you have a case with proper air flow. If you want to check your temps I suggest you download and install "hwmonitor" it's really good to monitor fans and temps it gives you info on every components that have sensors in your system.

Joris

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

yes the gpu worked before but as i was told someone shortcut ed it,
and yes i have the latest drivers the component thats 70C is the ''system'' that's equal to the MB temperature in my PC, and i can say (and fell) that its the north bridge heating which i suppose is responsible for the cpu, gpu and fast going stuff.

Joris

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
so can i please have Your opinion on a new gpu that would be to powerful for my pc and be as cheap as possible but if i would consider adding 4gb of RAM it would bottleneck? i suppose it should be not better that my computer but have a little reserve just in case :p

Joris

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
its 350W, but i already got a card now its the good old gt220 but this time its from gigabyte and it runs way better that the old one even the windows rating is 6.5 instead of the old 5.6 its great! thx for your help anyway! oh and btw i pay'd only 60$ for it.