My first buiid ever, insight appreciated.

lt13kformula

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hi! Im new to the site, and this is my first build. I know enough to get by but not alot. So any insight for future reference is appreciated. Its mostly a gaming media center rig for my game room. Gonna be playing alot of simcity and minecraft lol.

Asus sabertooth z77

i7 quad-core 3770k 3.5ghz 3.9 turbo

corsair h100 liquid cooling system

g.skill ripjaws 32 gb 1866 ram

evga geforce 560 2gb

coolmax zu series 900w power supply

kingston 120gb ssd for os

wd velociraptor 1tb hhd

all wrapped up in a thermaltake chaser mk-i case

the blueray burners n such not listed. the whole thing with shipping blueray, win 7 64bit, speakers etc etc cost about 1900 on newegg less rebates. i had the graphics card from before because it died in my old cpu and i bought a new one then the whole computer broke so its a lil outdated.

like i said my first build so i figured i'd ask around and see if i did a good job, all the parts are already ordered but its not here yet nor assembled. lemme know what ya'll think. tnx!

socialassassin

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Some of that is overkill for a gaming rig. Id scale back the CPU to a 3570k , RAM to 16GB and ditch the velociraptor for a standard HDD (not super useful if you have an SSD) and use the extra 200-300 to upgrade your graphics card.

marshallbradley

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
As previously mentioned, get a 3570k (paired with an ASRock Extreme 4 is always a solid choice). Velociraptor would be a waste for your needs. I'd get a 650 Seasonic/Corsair/Antec 650w powersupply, you won't need any more power for single card setups.

H100 is not great, I'd rather get a high quality air solution which will cost you less and perform better. Something like the Noctua NH-D14.

32gb of RAM is kinda needless unless you're doing a RAM drive. Get 8 GB or MAYBE 16 if it's cheap. Better to sink that money (along with the rest of the savings) into a faster graphics card. Something like a 7870/660 Ti is about the performance/price sweet spot at at the moment.

At the moment your build is kinda lopsided with too much CPU/RAM power, and too little GPU power.

M