Screen Freeze While Gaming

Whenever I play a graphically intnsive such as Doom3 or Painkiller, every so
often the screen freezes for 15-30 secs then all is Ok again.

I have a P4 3.2, GeForce4Ti video card and 1Gb RAM so I don't think the
hardware is a problem.

All my drivers are current.

Can anyone help?

Hi Ken,

Which Ti do you have? For a system with a P4 3.2 and a Gig of Ram,
the Ti is a pretty weak card. Can you borrow a higher end model?

Also make sure your power supply is strong enough to provide a
consistent flow of current, and that your fans are all working properly.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E86DCADF-EDAC-4EC6-A893-05DE08A04B45@microsoft.com...
| Whenever I play a graphically intnsive such as Doom3 or Painkiller, every so
| often the screen freezes for 15-30 secs then all is Ok again.
|
| I have a P4 3.2, GeForce4Ti video card and 1Gb RAM so I don't think the
| hardware is a problem.
|
| All my drivers are current.
|
| Can anyone help?

Hi Jimmy

Got a 400W PS, all fans are working and everything is dust-free! What card
would you suggest? Mines a 4600

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Which Ti do you have? For a system with a P4 3.2 and a Gig of Ram,
> the Ti is a pretty weak card. Can you borrow a higher end model?
>
> Also make sure your power supply is strong enough to provide a
> consistent flow of current, and that your fans are all working properly.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E86DCADF-EDAC-4EC6-A893-05DE08A04B45@microsoft.com...
> | Whenever I play a graphically intnsive such as Doom3 or Painkiller, every so
> | often the screen freezes for 15-30 secs then all is Ok again.
> |
> | I have a P4 3.2, GeForce4Ti video card and 1Gb RAM so I don't think the
> | hardware is a problem.
> |
> | All my drivers are current.
> |
> | Can anyone help?

Hi Ken,

Well a 4600 is decent enough for you to be able to avoid the type
of lag you described. Do you lag during online and offline games?

--

"kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6051F2BB-695E-429A-82A7-F649ED16A826@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy
|
| Got a 400W PS, all fans are working and everything is dust-free! What card
| would you suggest? Mines a 4600
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Ken,
| >
| > Which Ti do you have? For a system with a P4 3.2 and a Gig of Ram,
| > the Ti is a pretty weak card. Can you borrow a higher end model?
| >
| > Also make sure your power supply is strong enough to provide a
| > consistent flow of current, and that your fans are all working properly.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E86DCADF-EDAC-4EC6-A893-05DE08A04B45@microsoft.com...
| > | Whenever I play a graphically intnsive such as Doom3 or Painkiller, every so
| > | often the screen freezes for 15-30 secs then all is Ok again.
| > |
| > | I have a P4 3.2, GeForce4Ti video card and 1Gb RAM so I don't think the
| > | hardware is a problem.
| > |
| > | All my drivers are current.
| > |
| > | Can anyone help?

Jimmy

Haven't tried an online game for over a year! lol. So I only know about the
offline lag. I can play games like Baldurs Gate no problem, though.

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Well a 4600 is decent enough for you to be able to avoid the type
> of lag you described. Do you lag during online and offline games?
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6051F2BB-695E-429A-82A7-F649ED16A826@microsoft.com...
> | Hi Jimmy
> |
> | Got a 400W PS, all fans are working and everything is dust-free! What card
> | would you suggest? Mines a 4600
> |
> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Ken,
> | >
> | > Which Ti do you have? For a system with a P4 3.2 and a Gig of Ram,
> | > the Ti is a pretty weak card. Can you borrow a higher end model?
> | >
> | > Also make sure your power supply is strong enough to provide a
> | > consistent flow of current, and that your fans are all working properly.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> | > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Hi Ken,

Let's take a step back then and try my troubleshooter...

Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :)

1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:319C7D69-9938-47F1-8EED-C07E11E1155C@microsoft.com...
| Jimmy
|
| Haven't tried an online game for over a year! lol. So I only know about the
| offline lag. I can play games like Baldurs Gate no problem, though.
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Ken,
| >
| > Well a 4600 is decent enough for you to be able to avoid the type
| > of lag you described. Do you lag during online and offline games?
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "kenreilly" <kenreilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6051F2BB-695E-429A-82A7-F649ED16A826@microsoft.com...
| > | Hi Jimmy
| > |
| > | Got a 400W PS, all fans are working and everything is dust-free! What card
| > | would you suggest? Mines a 4600
| > |
| > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
| > |
> [...]