GTX 670 SLI constant crashing, HELP!

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
So, recently I did a fresh install of the new WHQL drivers (previously was at 310.70), but now I'm experiencing a lot more crashes than normal. For instance, I'll be browsing the internet, and bam, driver crash. Most of these require a reboot if I don't get the "Driver Crashed" popup. Another instance, while playing Far Cry 3, my GPU usage will plummet to 0%, causing a momentary freeze, and do that 3 or 4 times, then lock up, sometimes with audio repeating as well. Is this just a sign of a bad driver, because up until now my newly SLI'd setup hasn't given me trouble. No overclocks on cards, CPU is OC'd to 4.4 (i5 3570k). Thanks for any advice.

Also, the only things that have changed have been those drivers, and putting new thermal paste on my CPU and Hyper 212+ cooler, and moving to the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

I find this in my event viewer:
" Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

This is followed by this: "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video7009e(1cd4) 8400000c 744100f8"

Basically, I've tried everything. Reseating RAM, cards, checking RAM settings/Memtest, disabled audio drivers, etc. Crashes seem random, stable for hours, then another error. Anyone have any advice? Further research shows most suffer from this TDR error, and point to multiple causes. I'm just really hoping it isn't hardware related, I've already spent enough money building this computer. Maybe adding my second card did my system in? Or maybe it's faulty, but it ran perfect for almost 3 weeks, so a sudden failure seems strange when both work as entended when this error isn't occurring. Thanks for any help, I need it.

System: i5 3570k (4.4 OC)
Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair HX750 PSU
16gb Corsair RAM
2x EVGA GTX 670 SC 4gb SLI

wudai_e

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Try these steps:

1. Exit all Windows based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers

3. On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.

4. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Will try, I have avoided doing the registry edit as most people don't recommend it, but I can try, I'm willing to try anything at this point. Can a CPU over clock really cause a display driver to crash? Or get this TDR?

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, I will try with that. I have always had my cards at stock, with just the power target at 122% so they boost correctly. I just have a feeling it's driver related, my system works perfectly most of the time, can get through benchmarks repeatedly, etc. Cards/RAM/CPU are all recognized in the BIOS, both cards are set to "GEN 3", which should be right. Would a constant loop of UnigineHeaven be a good test for this?

machjava

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Oh, it's random for sure. In an non graphically demanding game, first seconds of a 3DMark11 bench, 2 hours in on FC3. No consistency. Looking at my GPU graph in Afterburner, during that crash, my usage/power fluctuates wildly down to 0%, and back up.

Like I said, cards worked fine for a while, and as far as I know, motherboards/cpu's either work, or don't. No problems booting, anything else, just this error. I might go for a format of my SSD and reinstall of Windows 7.