Wont turn on

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hi there, I've just built my new PC, when I turn it on the power button that is in the motherboard and the number led turns on real fast, something makes a short clicking sound and turns off straight away also a little light turns on where it says "HB 105_LED" All of the fans spin but only for a second till it all turns off and then it all turns back on repeating the same thing. I have tried taking the Graphics card out but no luck, tried replugging the 8 plug and 24 but still nothing any ideas how to fix it ?

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Specs:
HDD: Western Digital blue ivy
Motherboard: Gygabyte z77x-ud5h
GPU: GTX670
PSU: G7 850W
CPU: i7-3770K
RAM:Corsair DDR3 / 1600 4GB Vengeance

Tried unmounting the motherboard from the case hopping that it might be the stand off's making it power out but that wasn't it, still does the same thing and the speaker lets out 2 clicking noises before turning off.

4745454b

Titan
Is the speaker on the motherboard?

I have a Gigabyte board that gave me grief when I first got it. I plugged it all in only to have it not turn on. Did some reading in the manual, turns out I had my two ram sticks in the wrong slots. Seems that with my board you DON'T use the first slot next to the CPU socket. Any chance you have your stick there? Try moving over one slot away from the CPU socket and try again.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Its the speaker that you have to plug in the 4 pins to, besides the power, reset, etc.
Tried changing the ram between all of the places still nothing although now the LED shows (9P) for a second before turning off

4745454b

Titan
9P? Debug LEDs use 16bit char sets so the highest it could go is F. Reading YOUR manual (You're welcome) 9A - 9D relates to USB devices while 9E and 9F are reserved. There is no 9P.

Doing a search for click/beep codes didn't turn up anything either. On page 31 it just said a single beep should be heard on a good boot. The manual doesn't say to but the first numbered RAM slot is the one farthest from the CPU socket. I'm not sure where the issue is. Might want to double check the CPU installation if everything else is good/tight.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Its definitely a P might just be a P alone and then a quick 9. I tried taking the cpu out and back in, checked that its in tight and not moving around and I have checked the manual as well didn't find anything on 9P and didn't find anything online either, sorry for not including that. And it's not a beep its a clicking sound, its starts off when it starts right away and when it turns off. Maybe the motherboard is faulty ? Or could it be the CPU ?

4745454b

Titan
I'd try different known working parts now. Might as well do PSU first seeing as its easiest.

Only time I had this happen is when my Asus P5K-E wifi died. So I'm leaning towards dead motherboard.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Is there any way I can check if its the motherboard and maybe fix it, not myself (god knows I would mess it up even more..)

4745454b

Titan
You have to test everything with known good working parts. Borrow a PSU that you know works. Does your machine now turn on? If so it was the PSU. If not try other ram. Try a new CPU, etc.

You can take it to a shop and pay to have them test it for you. I don't know how many friends you have that have PCs with similar parts.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Just tried to turn it on in hope that maybe something will work and for a few seconds I thought it did since it booted up for like a good few seconds and then went off again just as I got excited that it works.. Im pretty sure that means something is shorting out but I rather hear it from someone that knows about pc more than I before I do something.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Okay so after taking the the parts out and checking I could only test the psu since my older pc does not support the CPU or the motherboard.
Once I tried to run everything without the case just the CPU, mobo and the psu it lost the 9P error and now shows a 51 error or error 15 depending on how you look at it

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Forgot to add in, I tried running it without ram and all I get is another error and constant speaker beeping. When I run it with ram I get error 51 or 15 like I said depends on how you look at it.
Ps. Sorry for flooding it won't let me edit the messages.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
So I finally delivered the pc to a pc repair shop for a diagnostic check and they said it as the PSU turns out 850w wasn't enough to run that motherboard with that CPU and the ram stick seems a bit weird to me since now im sorta interested on what will happen when I plug in my graphics card or a sound card or the 2 drives and more rams later on. He said I need to get one above 1000w

4745454b

Titan
850W is PLENTY of power for that build. You are using a ~180W GPU and a 77W CPU. At full blast your tower will be wanting just over 300W. Granted you might have a really bad quality 850W, but even a diablotek can usually output half of its power poorly. You should be able to SLI that card on a 750W. It very well could be the PSU but you don't need a 1kW unit. A good 500W from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX will run what you have.

Packard01

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I guess I can sell the PSU and buy a corsair one, since the person told me that it showed no problem when he connected another psu but it was a 1kw one