Oct 14, 2011
hi,

my current PC specs are

q6600 @ 2.8
Asus Striker Extreme - nForce 680i
8800gt alpha dog Edition. SLI
4gigs of ram DD2
600watt GPU

this system lasted me a good 5-6 years but it now showing its age.

i need opinions for an upgrade. I dont have a big budget at the moment, so mostly this is a CPU vs GPU upgrade. what would you guys recommend to upgrade first??

also before you guys ask me to overclock my CPU, I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO PASS 2.8 with this motherbord.

I'm more heading towards the CPU upgrade with this
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72062&vpn=3570K%20%26%20P8Z77-V%20LK&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals&promoid=1324

and about 6-8 months later i will upgrade my GPU.

opinons, thoughts?

thanks!

suteck

Distinguished
The link took me to a page with all kinds of stuff on it but not a cpu. I honestly don't see where you can go with an upgrade. You already have close to the top of the line cpu for the 775 socket so any little improvement with what I see around isn't worth the time to do it. I usually see value in an upgrade but I don't see where it would do you ANY good. Unless you have a cpu that I didn't see, which is possible of course. but it will only be a little faster than what you already have with no additional cores.

I think it's time for a rebuild from the ground up.

quintal

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
not sure why the link is not working, works on my end. by the CPU upgrade i ment with a new motherbord and RAM,

Intel Core i5 3570K Quad Core & ASUS P8Z77-V Lk SLI DDR3 Motherboard for 349.99

i know my two GPU will be a bottleneck, but do you guys think i will see some performance increase?

suteck

Distinguished
OK gotcha. (the link only takes me to the ncix home page - HERE - http://us.ncix.com/ ), Yes that is a nice upgrade. You're right about the gpu bottleneck, but the on-die graphics are gonna be better than those 8800gt's. Later on, if you're ready to do some upgrading then you will want to upgrade your vga. Looks like you're gonna need the new ddr3 memory also. Is that mentioned in the link also and I can't get to it? Sorry for all the lame advice if it is. Is that the beginning of your build or all your going to get right now? What 600W psu do you have? You're probably gonna want one with the 8 pin 24v power connector if yours doesn't have one.