basic question on television audio output & in-wall speakers

Last response: in Home Audio
May 16, 2004 12:52:14 PM

Hello,

I'm a data/telecom guy and not well-versed on audio, so you will perhaps
bear with me on this question.

I've been asked to hook up someone's television to four in-wall
speakers. The speakers had been installed by the house's previous
owners. The are four speaker wire pairs which emerge under a cabinet
near the television. I haven't verified that the wires run to the
speakers -- experience kind of tells me to doubt anything unless I prove
it to myself -- but I will assume that.

The television, which is a Minolta or something like that, is one of
those large screen ones which sit on a box with wheels. The whole
contraption looks like a black bookcase. I did not pay much attention
to the brand or model.

On the back of the television there was audio output through four pairs
of red/black rca female jacks. Below that, there were two pairs of the
pinching speaker wire connectors. This last pair had "8 ohm" marked
near it.

I told the lady that I would be able to hook up the four rca output
jacks to the four pairs of speaker wire in order to put the speakers to
use. I had planned to terminate the 14-gauge standard speaker wire in a
wall box using a faceplate with four pairs of jacks for banana jacks.
The speaker wires don't reach the TV, so I would make
rca/male-to-banana jack/male cables for this.

After considering this I am doubtful of my promise. I suspect that the
four pairs of rca jacks really are meant to connect to something like a
stereo amplifier. I suspect that they could not drive the speakers
correctly. I guess that the two pinching jacks on the back of the TV
are meant for direct speaker connections.

Does this make sense to you all? Would it be safe to assume that I
cannot use the audio output via the rca jacks unless I have an amplifier
of some sorts in series before I can attach speakers successfully.?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- greg
info@knopfnet.com
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:26:10 PM

Greg,

> Would it be safe to assume that I cannot use the audio output via the rca
jacks unless I have an amplifier of some sorts in series before I can attach
speakers successfully? <

Yes.

Some TVs also have low power (~10 watts) loudspeaker outputs. If there are
additional terminals on the TV that look like the terminals on the rear of a
loudspeaker, those can probably drive loudspeakers.

--Ethan
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:38:05 PM

In <c87o5u$85p@dispatch.concentric.net>, on 05/16/04
at 08:52 AM, "greg t. knopf" <gtknopf@concentric.net> said:

[ ... ]

>On the back of the television there was audio output through four
>pairs of red/black rca female jacks. Below that, there were two
>pairs of the pinching speaker wire connectors. This last pair had "8
>ohm" marked near it.

You could connect a single pair of loudspeakers to the "pinching"
(speaker) terminals on the TV set (one speaker to each set of
terminals). Not knowing anything about the inwall speakers, I can't
know if both pairs could be simultaneously connected without damaging
the TV. Assume that connecting the second pair of speakers will cause
damage to the TV.

Since there are four speakers, I would assume that two are in the front
and two are in the rear of the room and that the original system was
connected as a home theater. In modern home theater systems each
speaker receives its own dedicated amplifier channel and an independent
channel on the DVD. There was also a fifth, center channel speaker that
should be placed on the vertical centerline of the TV's picture.

If the customer wants home theater, you'll need a receiver designed for
home theater applications and I recommend that you introduce a 5th
(center channel) speaker. If the customer simply wants to use the
larger inwall speakers rather than the small speakers built into the
TV, just connect the two speakers nearest to the TV and ignore the
others. You will then have to figure out how to turn off the TV's own
speakers (some TVs have a mechanical switch, others have a menu option)

>I told the lady that I would be able to hook up the four rca output
>jacks to the four pairs of speaker wire in order to put the speakers
>to use. I had planned to terminate the 14-gauge standard speaker
>wire in a
> wall box using a faceplate with four pairs of jacks for banana
>jacks.
> The speaker wires don't reach the TV, so I would make
>rca/male-to-banana jack/male cables for this.

In your case, the RCA jacks are designed to be connected to an
amplifier or receiver, don't connect speakers there. It is bit out of
the ordinary to have two sets of RCA audio outputs on a TV (by this I
mean two Left-Right pairs). Try to track down the TV's operator's
manual and read what it says about the two sets of outputs. You will
find that each is designed for a different purpose.

[ ... ]

If the customer seems very sophisticated (in terms of audio and video),
I suggest you call in someone more familiar with home theater or you
should do some reading. If the customer would be satisfied with using
the inwall speakers, connect two of them to the TV's speaker output
terminals.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
May 16, 2004 4:59:57 PM

"greg t. knopf" <gtknopf@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<c87o5u$85p@dispatch.concentric.net>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm a data/telecom guy and not well-versed on audio, so you will perhaps
> bear with me on this question.
>
> I've been asked to hook up someone's television to four in-wall
> speakers. The speakers had been installed by the house's previous
> owners. The are four speaker wire pairs which emerge under a cabinet
> near the television. I haven't verified that the wires run to the
> speakers -- experience kind of tells me to doubt anything unless I prove
> it to myself -- but I will assume that.
>
> The television, which is a Minolta or something like that, is one of
> those large screen ones which sit on a box with wheels. The whole
> contraption looks like a black bookcase. I did not pay much attention
> to the brand or model.
>
> On the back of the television there was audio output through four pairs
> of red/black rca female jacks. Below that, there were two pairs of the
> pinching speaker wire connectors. This last pair had "8 ohm" marked
> near it.
>
> I told the lady that I would be able to hook up the four rca output
> jacks to the four pairs of speaker wire in order to put the speakers to
> use. I had planned to terminate the 14-gauge standard speaker wire in a
> wall box using a faceplate with four pairs of jacks for banana jacks.
> The speaker wires don't reach the TV, so I would make
> rca/male-to-banana jack/male cables for this.
>
> After considering this I am doubtful of my promise. I suspect that the
> four pairs of rca jacks really are meant to connect to something like a
> stereo amplifier. I suspect that they could not drive the speakers
> correctly. I guess that the two pinching jacks on the back of the TV
> are meant for direct speaker connections.
>
> Does this make sense to you all? Would it be safe to assume that I
> cannot use the audio output via the rca jacks unless I have an amplifier
> of some sorts in series before I can attach speakers successfully.?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> - greg
> info@knopfnet.com

Are you sure that all of those RCA jacks on the back of the TV are
outputs and that some of them aren't inputs? You need to get the
brand and model number of the TV and see if you can find an online
version of the owner's manual before you assume yourself into a
corner.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 8:36:56 PM

Hello,

greg t. knopf wrote:
> I've been asked to hook up someone's television to four in-wall
> speakers. The speakers had been installed by the house's previous
> owners.

Thank you for all of your answers. I will have to find out more about
the television before I assume too much.

The speakers are not set up in the current home theatre configuration;
they are placed kind of randomly around the room although with two on
the north side and two on the south. I don't think that acoustic
considerations were really part of their placement. The lady would just
like to put to use what is there and is not an audiophile or anything.

I think that the best I can provide, in the short term, is:

(1) Identify which speaker wire pairs go to which speakers. Label the
wires.

(2) Terminate the speaker wires on a wall box faceplate with four pairs
of female banana jacks. Label this. House this in a free-standing wall
box -- I didn't mention that the wires end in a hole in the back of a
cabinet stuffed with children's games. There is another hole in the
back of the cabinet which leads to the space with the television.

(3) Make jumper cables for connecting from the television speaker output
to the wall box faceplate's banana jacks.

This will allow the user to eventually put in a stereo/home
entertainment system and put the speakers to use without much trouble.
Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again,

- greg
gtknopf@concentric.net
info@knopfnet.com
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:21:45 AM

In <c88jd8$qe5@dispatch.concentric.net>, on 05/16/04
at 04:36 PM, "greg t. knopf" <gtknopf@concentric.net> said: [ ... ]

>The lady would
>just like to put to use what is there and is not an audiophile or
>anything.

>I think that the best I can provide, in the short term, is:

>(1) Identify which speaker wire pairs go to which speakers. Label the
> wires.

>(2) Terminate the speaker wires on a wall box faceplate with four
>pairs of female banana jacks. Label this. House this in a
>free-standing wall box -- I didn't mention that the wires end in a
>hole in the back of a cabinet stuffed with children's games. There
>is another hole in the back of the cabinet which leads to the space
>with the television.

>(3) Make jumper cables for connecting from the television speaker
>output to the wall box faceplate's banana jacks.

>This will allow the user to eventually put in a stereo/home
>entertainment system and put the speakers to use without much trouble.
> Does this sound reasonable?

The above sounds reasonable. It's the TV connection that needs some
more information.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)