HD 6950 worth getting for 95$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackleblack

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hello,
I currently have an HD 4980 from XFX, and even though I can still run most games that were released 2-3 years ago maxed out / high settings at 50-40 FPS, I am looking to do an upgrade in the meantime, before getting a whole PC upgrade. I have an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE non OC, and I have yet to see a bottleneck due to my CPU (the only 2 games that clearly showed it were Witcher 2 and StarCraft 2).

Anyways, I was looking to get a high end card in the price range of $330, so either the GTX 670 / GTX 660 TI or HD 7950 / HD 7970, but then a friend of mine offered me to sell his HD 6950 for $95. According to AnardTech, it almost doubles the FPS in some games for such a small price point:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/513?vs=510

I am gaming at 1080p on a single screen, but I have a multi screen setup that I use to work. Should I get this small second hand upgrade until the new gen GPUs are out or even the 9XXX series or what not, or invest in a GTX 670 / GTX 660 TI or HD 7950 / HD 7970 in the $330 price range?

Thanks

EDIT:
also another quick question:
If someone suggests to get one of the high end cards I listed above, is it worth spending 20-30$ more to get a card with better cooling than a reference cooler (for example a card made by Zotac vs Gigabyte)?

Solution
the 6950 will perform similar to a 7850. depending on the model $95 is fair. Take a look at Ebay(although they may pay more to get a second for crossfire). You are saving him some trouble though and if it is a reference, 1GB that can't be unlocked $95 is high. Not really a "friend" price. If its a high end custom like a 6950 toxic that's different. Id give him $95 in a heartbeat to match my current card lol.

I would not touch zotac. Get a good brand like sapphire/gigabyte/xfx/Asus. And custom cards are more than just the cooler, the PCB is custom with better vrms, binning, overclocking and the cooler can be a big deal too if you don't like noise.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I was just joking. Well, I'd say it depends whether that card is reference or aftermarket card. This also answers your second question; Aftermarket cards usually run at lower temperatures and generate less noise. The lower temps allow you to adjust the card to a higher clock and thus potentially get a little bit more performance out of it.

Reference cards can be overclocked too, but with stock cooling you better be deaf if you're going to try it.

the 6950 will perform similar to a 7850. depending on the model $95 is fair. Take a look at Ebay(although they may pay more to get a second for crossfire). You are saving him some trouble though and if it is a reference, 1GB that can't be unlocked $95 is high. Not really a "friend" price. If its a high end custom like a 6950 toxic that's different. Id give him $95 in a heartbeat to match my current card lol.

I would not touch zotac. Get a good brand like sapphire/gigabyte/xfx/Asus. And custom cards are more than just the cooler, the PCB is custom with better vrms, binning, overclocking and the cooler can be a big deal too if you don't like noise.

Solution

bliq

Distinguished
I've got a 6950 2GB and it's running skyrim at 1920x1200 at max settings. but I'm going to guess that in a year or so, it won't be able to run the newest, most demanding games at top settings. still, I don't know if you're going to find anything that performs better for $95.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

wow to say zotac doesnt make a good card is a little unfair and not true.

Didn't say they didn't. I said I wouldn't touch them. Brand recommendations are based on known information and experiences, and his question was a reference zotac, when a good custom card is $20 more. zotac clearly has a pricing problem.

ikaz

Distinguished
If I could find a 6950 2 Gig model for 95$ (assuming it was in good condition) I would buy it in a heard beat and I currently have aa 6850 which works great for me but it only has 1 Gig of Ram. See if you can talk him down to say 85 or 90 if you can I mean you could buy and probably sell it for $150 on ebay so still a good deal @95.

jackleblack

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for all the replies, it's a MSI 1 GB model, but with a custom cooler. He said I can try it out for a week, and then if I like it I can buy it, so I'll see how it goes.
"hizodge" said that the GTX 660 TI is a decent choice aswell, what's the sale price I should be aiming at? i saw some models on NCIX at 250$, but with the Black Friday and Xmas sales just a few weeks back, I'm not sure if it's the ideal price.
Thanks

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Well in the 660ti comparison that I linked to you three stood out; Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.

I would personally pick Gigabyte or MSI. If you want the card to run absolutely silent, then go for Asus but keep in mind that it comes with a slightly lower base clock than the other two contenders. As for the ones I recommended; MSI gives best overall performance and their products are always top notch. However, Gigabyte comes at a better value.

I don't live in NA so I can't really advise you on pricing there. I'd say $250 is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.