Windows 7 and Windows XP dual boot

NvidiAti

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I am running Windows 7 64bit. My printer only has 32 bit drivers. Is there any way I can get a windows 64 bit 32bit printer emulator? If not then I have to install 32bit Windows XP on my computer as well. Now after I partition my hard drive, will I be able to get that space back? For ex. I make a partition 50GB for windows XP, Will I be able to put that 50GB back into my windows 7 partition if I delete Windows XP? Will the 2 partitions be able to communicate with each other? Like will I be able to take files from the partition that Windows XP is on if i'm logged on my Windows 7 and vice versa. Will I also need to install antivirus and things for Windows XP? One last question... I have 9MB unallocated(lol) How do i get that back into my hard drive?

NvidiAti

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

isamuelson

Distinguished
32-bit drivers do NOT work under 64-bit Windows. You have to have 64-bit drivers. If
the manufacturer of the printer doesn't have 64-bit drivers, then unfortunately you are out of luck unless someone else has released their own drivers. So far, it seems like Canon has not released 64-bit drivers for your specific model. I would get with them to see if they even plan on doing this.

I guess the other thing to consider is, why do you want to go to 64-bit windows? Are you planning on using more then 4 gigs of memory? If so, then 64-bit is the only way to do that. Otherwise, 32-bit Windows-7 will be fine. As it is, 32-bit applications will not necessarily perform faster under 64-bit Windows anyways.

32-bit PROGRAMS can work under 64-bit Windows, but not drivers.

NvidiAti

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

Canon said they weren't going to made a 64bit driver. I'm fine with that but I just need to know how to dual boot into XP. Theres nothing wrong with having a 64bit OS...except if you need old drivers.

OK, I don't think you're going to get this printer working in 64-bit Windows 7, so to answer your original questions:

1. Yes, you'll be able to put that 50 GB back into Windows 7 when you've finished with it.

2. Yes, each OS will be able to see both partitions. As long as you don't restrict the security of the files they should be visible to both.

3. Yes, you'll need to install anti-malware protection for XP.

4. You can't get that 9MB back - it's just the way things are. You often end up with small unallocated spaces; still, 9MB is neither here nor there.

Having said that, rather than the hassle of dual booting just for printing I'd use it as an excuse to buy a nice new printer.

schaw

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
About the 9MB unallocated space. You can get it back. I had the same problem and looked through all these forums all over the net and everyone said the same you can not get the 9MB back. I started playing around and if you right click the main drive and click expand drive the wizard will tell you that you have about 8-9 available. Just fallow through the wizard and POOF you have that space back. (Windows 7 is my OS)