January 14, 2013 8:55:35 PM

Hello,
I'm building a new rig:

3.4 gHz i5
ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard
Nvidia GT 680
8GB Ripjaw 1600 RAM
630W PSU

I put it together and used onboard graphics to install Windows, do all the updates, install drivers etc. When I went to upgrade my graphics card drivers it says it doesn't detect compatible hardware so I reboot and go into my BIOS. My BIOS has a tool that shows my board and what is plugged in where, it isn't detecting my graphics card.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS BELOW:
In BIOS settings I've made sure it is set to default to PCI-E graphics, not onboard.

The fan on the GPU is spinning, so it appears to be getting power.

I used my old PCI-E video card (5770) and my BIOS detected it, I put the 680 in my old rig and I got video through it. I am at a loss here. I don't want to RMA the card yet because I think it works, I'm just at a loss here.

Extra info: The 5770 I used to trouble shoot only needed one 6-pin power connected, the 680 needs two. I have a modular power supply and swapped PCI-E 6 pin connectors in case that was the issue.

I am at a loss as to what to do here with this, any help would be appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 9:07:44 PM

Ok, so the card is working in another system.
You have made sure the default graphics output is the Pci-e slot with the GT 680.
There will be two causes, first of all its a 630 psu. you need to check how many amps on the 12v rails it can provide. Then you need to check what the card requires in amps of the 12v rails to power it. Also you need to make sure how many watts the card needs from the PSU. Enough to run the card and the rest of the system when you put it in.

The only next option if it all checks out, is to check the 8 pin cpu connector is plugged in via the Psu to the motherboard, the 8 pin block will be located near the cpu socket.
Next check that both of the Pci-e power pins from the CPU are indeed fitted to the back of the GT 680 graphics card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 9:09:41 PM

crunchdar said:
Hello,
I'm building a new rig:

3.4 gHz i5
ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard
Nvidia GT 680
8GB Ripjaw 1600 RAM
630W PSU

I put it together and used onboard graphics to install Windows, do all the updates, install drivers etc. When I went to upgrade my graphics card drivers it says it doesn't detect compatible hardware so I reboot and go into my BIOS. My BIOS has a tool that shows my board and what is plugged in where, it isn't detecting my graphics card.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS BELOW:
In BIOS settings I've made sure it is set to default to PCI-E graphics, not onboard.

The fan on the GPU is spinning, so it appears to be getting power.

I used my old PCI-E video card (5770) and my BIOS detected it, I put the 680 in my old rig and I got video through it. I am at a loss here. I don't want to RMA the card yet because I think it works, I'm just at a loss here.

Extra info: The 5770 I used to trouble shoot only needed one 6-pin power connected, the 680 needs two. I have a modular power supply and swapped PCI-E 6 pin connectors in case that was the issue.

I am at a loss as to what to do here with this, any help would be appreciated.

Be sure you had the video card plugged in fully. One time when I was a newb I saw the fan spinning but bios wasn't picking anything up so a week later I looked at the PCI-Express 16x and saw the card needed to be pushed in even more. Till it locked into place.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 9:11:16 PM

weaselman said:
Ok, so the card is working in another system.
You have made sure the default graphics output is the Pci-e slot with the GT 680.
There will be two causes, first of all its a 630 psu. you need to check how many amps on the 12v rails it can provide. Then you need to check what the card requires in amps of the 12v rails to power it. Also you need to make sure how many watts the card needs from the PSU. Enough to run the card and the rest of the system when you put it in.

The only next option if it all checks out, is to check the 8 pin cpu connector is plugged in via the Psu to the motherboard, the 8 pin block will be located near the cpu socket.
Next check that both of the Pci-e power pins from the CPU are indeed fitted to the back of the GT 680 graphics card.

Nice work you deserve the title VETERENx2 :)  Hope that works I was thinking about the PSU but wanted to ask my other question first.
m
l
!