Prepare for the Hybrid PhysX

EOR

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I am going to buy a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WF 3X GHz Edition 3GB
OR Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 2 GB

Should i go for the HD7970 Ghz editiion with GeForce GTX280(Hybrid PhysX)
OR GTX 680 with GeForce GTX280(PhysX)

Which one will get a better performance?
Also, 750W for these options is enough or not?

Specs:
Intel i7 3770K
Gigabyte H77M-D3H Mobo
GeForce GTX280
2 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
SanDisk SSD 120GB
Seagate HDD 500GB SATA 3
ASUS DVD RW
CoolerMaster GX 750W

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X 680 is the best thing out on market besides the Asus Top.
I own a Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC X3 2GB and it performs better than a Galaxy GTX 680 on 3D benchmarks. Its soo quiet and all I use to power it under maximum load is a 600W PSU. I use a 2600K gen 2 of your CPU also:) I definitley recommend the GTX 680 as its super quiet and low on power consumption under load.

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
It should be possible with your psu. The minimum for Xfire/SLI anything is right at 750w(I think). You also need to be able to power the two cards which is at least 3 6/8 pin PCIe connectors.

EOR

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
It should be possible with your psu. The minimum for Xfire/SLI anything is right at 750w(I think). You also need to be able to power the two cards which is at least 3 6/8 pin PCIe connectors.

I have four 6+2Pin PCIe Connector. So, it should be fine.
By the way,
which one can get a better performance?

HD7970 ghz edition+ gtx280 (Hybrid PhysX)
OR
GTX680 +gtx280(PhysX)

If you really want physx you get nvidia and use ONE card. If you have AMD and an old nvidia card and want to play with it you try hybrid physx. Physx is really a non issue feature at this point. Its barely supported by any games... Nvidia ruined it by buying them and locking it down.

750W means nothing, nor does having connectors. Coolermaster is known to make garbage, you have to check PSU reviews

Hazle

Distinguished

as unksol has expressed, don't get a cooler master PSU. most are just horrible. and considering what you're spending on, you can definitely choose a quality PSU that's less likely to crap out on you. tier 1, 2a, or 2b from the list below will do you just fine.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

decide on whether or not you wanna OC that CPU. if you're not grab a non-K cpu. if you are, buy a Z77 board.

not sure what you're using this for, but assuming at most it's for gaming; buy an i5-3570K if you're OCing, a 3470 if you're not. little to no benefit in getting an i7 for gaming. if my initial assumptions are wrong, and you're running multiple VMs, rendering, are into photo/image editing,etc, keep the i7.

i don't know what the gtx280 looks like nowadays and i'm not sure if there's a newer streamlined model, but being a former high-end card, i have to assume it's big and thick. pair that with a more recent high-end card, and you're looking for a bit of space on your motherboard. try grabbing an ATX board. much less stressful trying to fit in two thick cards as that second card will block those connectors at the bottom on an mATX board.

and in regards to PhysX; while physx is neat, it's not an absolute must have, though i guess you're capable enough to spend on it. so if you really want to do this; GTX670 + GTX280. yes, i know you ask for the 680, but for the price, you get a better value with the 670 as it performs close to the 680 for a lot less. and while hybrid physX has so far been successful to many if not all forum users who has it, it's not 100% guarantee it'll work perfectly in the future, so better to err on the side of caution.

You WILL lower your performance with the GTX280.

A high-end card like the GTX680 will end up WAITING for the PHYSX calculations if the addon card is too slow.

Testing varies by game, but I believe you need a minimum of a GTX660 if you have a GTX680 and in some cases higher.

Other points:
1) PHYSX is mostly a little extra eye-candy for most games and simply NOT worth using due to the performance hit (even on a single GTX680). Borderlands 2 is an exception, but then a GTX680 can handle that fine by itself.

Rule of thumb for PHYSX:
If the frame rate drops below 60FPS using PHYSX, then don't bother.

2) Batman Arkham City:
- disable both DX11 features and PHYSX regardless of your hardware. They cause major stuttering for very little visual benefit.

3) Since you're interested in PHYSX, I suggest you buy the following card (mentioned above) which I own and love, the Asus GTX 680 DC2T or "TOP" model:

Out of stock here, but this is the card (don't confuse with the "DC2" without the "T"):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121634&Tpk=asus%20gtx%20680%20dc2t

4) There are some great HD7970's out there as well, and as I've said PHYSX in general is simply not that big of a deal. If you can find the Asus GTX680 DC2T for $540 or less go for it. Otherwise, I recommend something like this:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77488&vpn=MATRIX-HD7970-P-3GD5&manufacture=ASUS

SUMMARY:
- addon PHYSX card? NO. NO. NO.
- recommended card? (HD7970 or GTX680 models above)
- *both cards use the 3-slot solution from ASUS which is VERY QUIET compared to most other cards. Highly recommended unless you absolutely need that slot free.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by locked down Physx to my knowledge is a open source program. There just aren't many games being made for it there are titles yes that use it Metro is no series to scoff at or the Batman games which are amazing. Honestly, if you are that into Physx yes I agree a 670/ or 680 will do. I wish that Nvidia would just let AMD use there Havok Physx engine to power this stuff up so I have to stop explaining why I prefer Nvidia because of the features it gives me.

Here are some BENCHMARKS for you (the HD7970 one is up to date).
*In reality, it's likely that some games will perform better on the HD7970 and some on the GTX680 models that I'm recommending.

You can't go wrong with either card. I tend to lean towards NVidia myself but you'll have to way the Pros and Cons yourself.

HD7970 (Asus Platinum version):
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ASUS-Matrix-Radeon-HD-7970-Platinum-Review/?page=13

GTX680 (Asus DC2T "TOP" version):
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/55064-asus-gtx-680-directcu-ii-top-review-20.html

Other:
I should note that NVidia's "SHIELD" portable gaming device only works with NVidia's cards (660 or better). Odds are you won't care and it's likely $400 at least anyway. However, I thought I should mention it just in case.

You can do what you wish, what I'm saying is that the GTX280 will not only add a lot of heat to your case but it will also slow down your games when used as an addon PHYSX card.

There's absolutely NO point to keeping that card in your current rig. I'd still keep it as a backup in case your new card fails at some point.

If you are into physx and you play games that use it don't cut corners trying to make use of a older card. I would only get the ASUS 680 Top if your intentions were to overclock as the TOP series cards are cherry picked GPU's which for all intensive purposes in theory should have better thermal results (temps). Otherwise a standard DirectcuII card will do. List the games you play and then we can talk if its worth it or not.

I play games that use it. For me it makes sense to use a Nvidia card because without it I wouldn't get the full feature set for these games and For me I can handle not having the best card in the world as long as the visuals are good. And I get a little bit of both with a 670.

Metro 2033
Borderlands 2
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Asylum

Both companies have a physx engine. havok is AMD's. It's a cleaver thing a GPU handling the physx of a game that there are aspects of the game that use physx (not the branding but the tech). You are never going to please everyone people are for it or against it are more about FPS or Visuals different things appeal to different crowds this will never change. And yes I agree that a 280 would bottleneck your system.

I just think the reason people are jaded with nvidia is because its you use our product you get our features or you don't. And I can understand the frustration that goes along with that. Either way circling back to this guys desire. Unless you are in love with Physx you will be fine with a 7970.