FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, the latest step in my continuing search for an actual working computer at home :frown:

I tried to install Windows XP on my two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60s, configured in RAID 0 on my onboard RAID. Windows setup refuses to format the drives, but W2k would (I have it installed on my backup 10GB). So now I have an NTFS formatted RAID array with Windows XP installed that won't boot. On boot it tells me that ntoskrnl.exe is missing and needs to be replaced. I can clearly see that file from my W2k installation though.

Any ideas what's wrong? I've run Scandisk on my array twice, no errors found.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you loading the drivers for your controller on the xp install? they have to be microsft certified drivers as well.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

FatBurger

Illustrious
They have to be Microsoft certified? I've never heard that before. I don't know if mine are, but they're the only XP ones listed on HighPoint's site.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes they have to be micro$haft certified to install your OS on. You can install what ever drivers you want onto the raid controller after the install if it does not contain your OS. I have had a simular problem. Although my HBA works fine with 2k drivers in XP it will not allow an install on the drives.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As a last resort you may want to install 2k on the array and then do an upgrade install for xp. That has worked for some.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I may end up doing that (W2k to WinXP).

Is there any way to install Windows from inside Windows?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I know. I have to install W2k first, though :tongue:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Set both drive to CS Cable select.

Use 2 high density cables without notches in cable.

Put 1 drive on each connector.

Hopefully you do not have a liquid barring drive, ive had problems with these in RAID configuration.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Without notches? You mean the filled in hole for the pin, or the notch on the outside?

And no, I don't have the liquid bearing drives.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Use 2 high density cables without notches in cable

Just as he said without notches in the actual cable. ( not refering to missing pins)

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
This is a silly question, but noone asked yet! Are you hitting F6 during the install bootup to load 3rd party drivers? If so is the driver install working when it asks for the floppy?

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
ncogneto asked that, actually. I have been, and I've tried lots of different drivers.
My next option is to use an extra RAID card I have in the trunk of my car at the moment, that would probably work.

Labdog, I know what the file is, I just don't know why it's telling me it's missing.

Don't step in the sarcasm!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
OK, my bad! Is the onboard controller highpoint? If so it requires a BIOS update and new driver to work with XP. Driver alone wont get it to install. Of course you can always skip XP and keep win2k hahaha =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
W2k won't install on my RAID either. And there are no newer drivers or BIOSes on Abit's or Highpoint's site.

Well, I finally got it installed. How, you ask? Well, I grabbed an old ATA66 Iwill RAID card I had sitting in the trunk of my car. That worked beautifully.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
What else do you have in that trunk of yours? Maybe we should just go RAID Fatburgers car! *JOKE*

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hmm...my rock climbing gear, a sleeping bag, some 1/4" guitar cables...I think that's about it.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Heh, yes I do. Good call, that'd suck if I didn't. I guess I could always wrap the sleeping bag around the wheel :tongue:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
If you do, I want pictures.
I hope you never need a spare. BUT.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile: