Closed

First Gaming PC- Help Wanted

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2013 10:00:49 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month.

Budget Range: 900-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school work

Here’s the build I’ve put together after doing some research. I’m very new to this so any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hx9z

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.97 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.49 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1009.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-04 18:48 EST-0500)

I will also need to purchase an OS, either Win7 or Win8.

I do plan on overclocking down the road when I learn how it works.

My monitor is 1920x1080.

Any advice in cutting costs would be great too as long as it won’t hinder performance much.

Thanks in advance!

More about : gaming wanted

March 4, 2013 10:20:23 PM

I wasn't sure what the difference was between USB 2.0 or PCI express when dealing with wireless adapters so I just chose the highest rated on pcpartpicker. So everything else looks pretty solid?
Score
Related resources
March 4, 2013 10:36:24 PM

The USB 2 Adapters are not as reliable and do not perform as well (bandwidth) as the PCI slot variety. I have both types.

Yes the rest of the components look good.

Your motherboard will support 8 GBs per slot - this is something to consider. My suggestion is to go for two 8 GB Corsair Vengeance modules for a total of 16 GBs. - Do you have any memory upgrade planned for the future?
Score
March 4, 2013 10:49:14 PM

This is my first time attempting to build and game on a PC so I haven't put much thought into future upgrades yet. I know for sure I will upgrade some parts eventually though.

But from what I've read 8Gb (2x4Gb) seems to be plenty. Would the benefit be worth the extra cost?
Score
March 4, 2013 10:54:15 PM

JasonS95 said:
This is my first time attempting to build and game on a PC so I haven't put much thought into future upgrades yet. I know for sure I will upgrade some parts eventually though.

But from what I've read 8Gb (2x4Gb) seems to be plenty. Would the benefit be worth the extra cost?

Are you planning on crossfiring? If not, you don't need a 750W PSU.
Also, make sure the cooler can fit with the tall heatsinks of the vengeance RAM on that motherboard. Otherwise, get low profile RAM.

You won't see any benefit right now with 16GB RAM for gaming.
Score

Best solution

March 4, 2013 11:04:27 PM

JasonS95 said:

Yes 8 GBs will work for you.

In case you are planning to populate all four slots then the module (tall Vengeance RAM) in the slot closest to the CPU socket will interfere with the heatsink fan. I have four 8 GB modules of Corsair Vengeance )tall) RAM and the Hyper 212 EVO heatsink. The way I got around the interference problem is by disc grinding off 2mm from the bottom portion of the heatsink fan. In your case since you are using only two Vengeance modules you will not have any interference issues resulting from the tall RAM.

Go ahead!
March 4, 2013 11:05:40 PM

Not quite sure yet, but I do plan on overclocking and everything.
I just wanted to get a good PSU that would last me a while.

I really haven't thought about crossfiring/SLI yet, but I am really excited to try out everything so I'm pretty sure I'll try it eventually.

Any good recommendations for a different PSU?
Score
March 4, 2013 11:08:05 PM

JasonS95 said:

I really haven't thought about crossfiring/SLI yet, but I am really excited to try out everything so I'm pretty sure I'll try it eventually.

If want to leave the option open for SLI, then that PSU is fine and good quality. It seems like you want to try that in the future so just leave it.

A 550W will run your system right now, but it cannot run a system with dual 7950s:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is a good quality unit.
Score
March 4, 2013 11:09:05 PM

Best answer selected by JasonS95.
Score
March 4, 2013 11:11:17 PM

JasonS95 said:

The one you have is an excellent PSU and will serve you well! A little overkill, but overkill ain't killed nobody yet!

(I have corsair HX850 and Corsair AX850 on 2 different builds with a single graphics card in each. Both overclocked, but no plans for SLI or Crossfire)
Score
March 4, 2013 11:16:58 PM

Thanks guys! If you think of anything else to add please don't hesitate. All advice is welcome :) 
Score
March 4, 2013 11:25:51 PM

Actually I do have another question.

Should I add an SSD when I get the chance?
Score
March 4, 2013 11:40:08 PM

JasonS95 said:

It won't help with actual gaming fps improvements, but your games/programs will load faster and your computer will boot up more quickly. In my opinion, it's a worthwhile addition once you get the chance, but it depends on your use I guess.
Score
March 5, 2013 12:37:19 AM

JasonS95 said:

Wait for prices to drop. Next Black Friday.
Score
!