Sign in with
Your question

EVGA GTX 660 ti ##VS## HD 7950

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2013 10:10:33 PM

about to put the final touches on a computer im building. there is no price difference. i stated before in a previous post

i will be playing mostly blizzard games witch ive come to the conclusion the 660Ti favors. Starcraft 2 - D3
i also started looking into games such as Crysis 3 - B3 - Metro and i believe that the HD 7950 comes ahead in that

playing on ONE monitor 1080p ... (DONT CARE ABOUT FREEBIES GAMES THE PRICE IS THE SAME)

GTX 670 is not in my budget, however, im looking for good advice on the pros/cons *FACTS* maybe an ACCURATE benchmark or two.

i5-3570k DO NOT PLAN ON OVERCLOCKING, MAYBE FACTORY SET OC, OR MAYBE IN THE FUTURE.

????? EVGA GTX 660Ti 2G (superclocked) *-*VS*-* HD 7950 3G ?????

i also am impressed with PhysX, dont know much about MSAA or w.e - DONT PLAN ON OVERCLOCKING

COMMENTS AND FACTS WELCOME....... THANK YOU PEOPLE!!!

More about : evga gtx 660 7950

a b Î Nvidia
January 14, 2013 10:25:47 PM

Well I'll try and digest everything you wrote into little segments. So you touch on games that you are into blizzard games typically do favor Nvidia a little more unsure why but they do. Crysis 3 I played the Alpha for and the graphic quality wasn't any different in my eyes as it was with Crysis 2 which used the same engine. Now with that said you didn't mention any games that use Physx I know right now the 670's do come with Borderlands 2 which does use Physx and Assasins Creed 3 which is also something that comes with a Ti 660. So my feeling is if you aren't going to play games that use it. I take it back you said Metro 2033. I have a GTX670 and I also have Metro 2033 that uses Physx and I didn't notice the Physx elements in the game I think that is mainly due to the dark light aspect of the game as its very dark.

I would save money and not purchase a 3570k unless you are completely sold on overclocking I would go against it. I would look towards a i5 3470 as it will be a more solid option for you. Also you can save a little by getting a solid h77 board as you won't need overclocking on your system.

Graphic card wise I feel the option that will last you longer is the 7950 the 660Ti currently beats out the 7950 according to techreport. http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge... However with a larger pool of ram to draw from and a higher memory bit you are probably going to see a longer lifespan with the 7950.

I would go with the 660Ti if you had plans on playing more games that use Physx i.e, borderlands 2, metro 2033, last light, Batman Arkham Asylum/City. Or any of these games.
http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=pc
m
l
January 14, 2013 10:43:06 PM

Well if your impressed with phyx then go with the 660ti also since your not OC'ing then again I would go with the 660ti. However if you do plan on xfire/sli in the future or gaming over 1080p then I would go with the 7950.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 10:47:05 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well I'll try and digest everything you wrote into little segments. So you touch on games that you are into blizzard games typically do favor Nvidia a little more unsure why but they do. Crysis 3 I played the Alpha for and the graphic quality wasn't any different in my eyes as it was with Crysis 2 which used the same engine. Now with that said you didn't mention any games that use Physx I know right now the 670's do come with Borderlands 2 which does use Physx and Assasins Creed 3 which is also something that comes with a Ti 660. So my feeling is if you aren't going to play games that use it. I take it back you said Metro 2033. I have a GTX670 and I also have Metro 2033 that uses Physx and I didn't notice the Physx elements in the game I think that is mainly due to the dark light aspect of the game as its very dark.

I would save money and not purchase a 3570k unless you are completely sold on overclocking I would go against it. I would look towards a i5 3470 as it will be a more solid option for you. Also you can save a little by getting a solid h77 board as you won't need overclocking on your system.

Graphic card wise I feel the option that will last you longer is the 7950 the 660Ti currently beats out the 7950 according to techreport. http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge... However with a larger pool of ram to draw from and a higher memory bit you are probably going to see a longer lifespan with the 7950.

I would go with the 660Ti if you had plans on playing more games that use Physx i.e, borderlands 2, metro 2033, last light, Batman Arkham Asylum/City. Or any of these games.
http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=pc

well if my eyes dont decieve me ... some weird *** is going on because the price difference was 10$ between the 660Ti 2G and HD 7950 but NOW ... HD 7950 is 100$ more *WTF* and HD 7970 is cheaper than the 7950 .. could i be mistaken or is this a minor glitch on the website

ALSO .. this is really my first gaming PC and pre build... i dont really know how to maintain overclocking and whatnot so i didnt really plan on using it but maybe learning how.... why not the i5-3570 non k .. unless there is a major price difference alowing me to cut into gtx 670 witch then leads me to my next question gtx 670 vs HD 7970 ( I ALSO GETTING A BLU RAY BURNER INSTALLED IN IT ) if that makes any diff for the CPU choice
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 14, 2013 11:35:41 PM

Very likely a glitch I'll provide a link so you can cross check prices when you like.
This includes the 660, 660Ti, 670, 7950, 7970.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=114,113,101...

Well there are places where you can learn how to overclock how to test voltages and settings to maintain a smooth overclock which would include testing overclocks using prime95 honestly, if you want to have the ability to learn and to overclock get a 3570k the k sku means that it is unlocked and you will have the ability to overclock you would also want a z77 board to do so as well.

In terms of the blu ray burner that is fine however, I would make sure you have software that can support it. I know that Nero supports burning blu ray discs. And in terms of playback windows media player does not support blu ray playback I would suggest powerdvd nothing is better then powerdvd with blu ray playback.
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:48:54 PM

I dunno why you felt the need to make two threads about this but the super short answer is if you're not overclocking you should probably just get the 660ti.
m
l
January 15, 2013 12:19:16 AM

Most Physx games are a couple of years old now except for Borderlands, would you buy a new card for old games?

The 7950 is a more powerful card, with more scaling and bandwidth both of which you will need for future titles. Furthermore the 7950 can handle multi-display if you ever want to go that route.

m
l
January 15, 2013 12:47:45 AM

ok now im thinking gtx 670 hahaha.. what would you say to .. gtx 670 OR HD 7970
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 15, 2013 12:49:22 AM

They are both formidable cards. Boasting amazing performance maybe not top end performance but good performance non the less either card would do the job. I do agree that the 7950 long term is the smarter buy however at this present moment the 660Ti does beat the 7950 in a lot of areas on stock. And most people don't overclock there graphics card they do with there CPU sure but normally there GPU they leave alone.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 15, 2013 5:47:55 PM

bigshootr is right - both are near enough the same as the GTX680 (you'll see an average of ~6% gain on a GTX680 over a GTX670, so almost nothing at all). I'd definitely vote GTX670.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 15, 2013 6:35:56 PM

I feel the best value at the high end for Nvidia is the 670 you don't lose much from the 680 to the 670 as Sam has illustrated.
m
l
!