PCIe express cable - can't find place to plug in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adil659

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi I just recently bought a Dell XPS 8500 and also a Nvidia GTX 660 ti to go with it, the graphics card fits and all but won't work because i need to plug in the PCIe express cable, I know that the 6 - pin part fits on the graphics card but i can't seem to find anything to plug the other side into. So if anyone could help as soon as possible.

Thankyou

Solution

does any of the wires coming out of the psu have a 6 pin pcie connector at the 'free' end? (at least there should be 4 pin molexes so you could use the adapter cable...)
You dont need to open the psu itself, theres nothing you could do in there...

Mahisse

Distinguished
Wait. Did you actually buy a 660 ti when there was already a HD7870 graphic card that came with the PC? You should have saved your money.

Sorry I just need to understand that we are talking about the same computer? Forgive me to ask this but you did you take out the other card first?

Kari

Splendid

it seems it might come equipped with any one of these:

NVIDIA® GeForce GT 620 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 7770 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce GT 640 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 660 1.5GB DDR5 Graphics Card

I think it's likely the psu gets changed as well if a more powerfull card is used, but who knows what was in the OPs system since he didnt say...

Despite not understanding the language I found it 470watts. I'm not sure the quality of the unit so I can't judge on that I wouldn't trust the quality of any component within a dell to be honest. However that being said you purchased a video card no? Video cards come with a molex to 6 pin adapter you can use the molex to extend out to a 6 pin power connection if you don't have enough molex you can use female to male 4 pin molex adapters to give yourself more room. Although if you end up spending 40-50 dollars on cables for the unit I would consider just buying a new power supply >< (you more then likely wouldn't)

adil659

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
The one that was already in was this $50 one and yes I took that one out. Okay so it goes in the power supply? all i see is random rubber wires going inside. does this mean i have to open the power supply and then do it? I also think that the cable won't reach that far

adil659

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

yeah i have that, so it goes in my power supply?

Kari

Splendid

does any of the wires coming out of the psu have a 6 pin pcie connector at the 'free' end? (at least there should be 4 pin molexes so you could use the adapter cable...)
You dont need to open the psu itself, theres nothing you could do in there...

Solution
No I'll show you what I'm talking about. There are connectors at the end of the wires and with 4 pin molex they can turn into pci express connections for your video card. If you don't have a 6 pin connection as illustrated in the 2nd picture you can take a molex and turn it into one. Also if you don't mind me asking what power supply did you purchase and how long ago.

21yZ-nParUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is normally what you get with your video card when you purchase it
molex_pci-e.jpg

adil659

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Thankyou very much guys I never knew there was a 6 pin coming out of the PSU to put in the graphics card. The computer seems faster and writing looks sharper.

THANK YOUUU! :D <3

Status
Not open for further replies.