Cannot get into install, reboot loop

believeinapathy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I built my own custom PC through parts I ordered from newegg last week. Putting the computer together was surprisingly the easy part, while installing a windows OS has been ridiculous. I tried installing windows xp for a few days after running into 0x7b bsod errors, finally getting it to the point it would set up and then would reboot and put the monitor in sleep mode. I tried vista which just immediately gave me the "putting the monitor to sleep" thing right after it said "starting windows."

Now i'm trying windows 7 and I once again can't do it. It boots up and does the setting up windows bar, then when it goes to "starting windows" it reboots itself, and does that on repeat. I really hope somebody can help, it's incredibly disheartening to spend $500+ just to have it do anything within its power to not work.

I've tried unplugging everything that isn't neccesary, running 1 stick of RAM, I've tried setting it to IDE, RAID, and HCPI. I have tried 2 separate Windows 7 discs. I've reformatted the HD (using xp) multiple times and tried multiple partitions. Windows 7 simply wont even let me get into the installation portion.

Anybody who could help it would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a few days now and it's getting tiring.

Specs:
BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX
AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Radeon HD 6850 (currently not in system)
1TB Hitachi HDD
480W Black Steel PSU

It's normal for Windows 7 to reboot itself a couple times during install.
But I'm guessing you're keeps on rebooting and doesn't stop?

bosey85

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
This really sounds like a hardware issue, seeing that you have experienced problems with different OS's not just one. I would go through and recheck all of your connections. Make sure the CPU is seated properly and in the correct orientation. If you have a beefy videocard, make sure that (2) 6-pin connectors are connected to the card from the power supply. You may have checked these things, however, it's usually the small things that cause these types of errors. I would reseat your RAM too just to be sure. This is just my two cents.

believeinapathy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

I'm using the on-board card and leaving my Radeon 6850 out until i can get the OS installed so I can install it's drivers. I've done a total run-down of the system and everything seems to be well connected/put together. I would say it could be a HDD problem but I've tried this process with a 250gb Samsung drive i have sitting around which gave the same results.

If I booted of a livecd, could I download the drivers BEFORE trying to install windows? or would I atleast be able to run som diagnostic tests to see where my problem is, if it is hardware related?

Depending on the LiveCD and what tools it has installed - yes.

Because you've failed to install ANY of the OSs you've tried - it might be a hard drive issue.
If a LiveCD boots and runs (which it can do without using the HDD) you'll know the system runs if the HDD isnt used. That's useful to know.

believeinapathy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

I have been told that my problem might be the drivers for my MB might need to be updated. This is why when i was trying to install xp before 7, I was trying to slipstream my drivers into an XP ISO. but this might no longer be a problem if I'm trying to install 7. I'll make a live CD using ubuntu and see what I can figure out from that and report back.

believeinapathy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

With vista or 7 no, but with XP I was able to format and set up partitions.

believeinapathy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
So I tried booting Ubuntu and it does the same thing as when I tried to install vista and linux, I get to the initial screen, it waits a few seconds, then my monitor goes into sleep mode for no reason. I don't understand why almost everything I boot puts my monitor into sleep mode.

believeinapathy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Honestly I feel like it HAS to be the motherboard at this point. It''s not the monitor, I have 3 and have tried using all of them. Is there anyway i can test the motherboard before RMA'ing it to Newegg and hoping a new one won't give me the same problem? So ridiculous that new merchandise can still be defective.

Having tried other monitors - yeah, I think you've done all you can yourself.

Before you go through the hassle of RMA's give BIOSTAR (and maybe the BIOSTAR forum) a chance to suggest a solution.
If you're lucky - they know what the issue is and have an idea how to get around it.