Sign in with
Your question

Radeon AGP hotfix install -- strange loop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2013 2:52:44 AM

Hi. I'm trying to install AMD's latest hotfix driver (12.6) for its AGP cards -- just experimentally really, to see if it does anything to help with the Radeon HD4650 BSOD problem.

I used AMD's install manager to remove the old driver (8.something). The program removes itself as well as the driver. But when I tried to install the new driver, it wanted me to install a new install manager first. And here's the thing: every time I try, the installer gets stuck at this stage -- that is, the 'install the install manager' stage. It doesn't even start installing the driver.

This image shows the error. I can't get past this point: if I choose to install the install manager again, I just get asked to do it one more time, going round and round in circles.

I think these are my options:

-try installing just the INF file (don't really know how)
-try using a program like Driver Fusion (or another?) to make sure there aren't any old AMD files interfering with the install
-try with a different earlier hotfix -- 12.4 for example.

What do you recommend? Or is there something dumb I've overlooked that explains why I get stuck in this loop?

(I'm in XP by the way. The card is a Gigabyte GV-R465D2-1GI.)
a c 206 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 15, 2013 3:20:07 AM

Definitely go with Driver Fusion (formerly know as Driver Sweeper) and remove the previous installs completely. Then, try again.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 3:31:37 AM

First off, full driver releases are NOT hot fixes. If you have not updated since 8.x..... I dont even know what to say to that its so crazy.

2nd your system is really old and parts are probate failing
Related resources
January 17, 2013 1:11:10 AM

unksol said:
First off, full driver releases are NOT hot fixes. If you have not updated since 8.x..... I dont even know what to say to that its so crazy.

haha. I don't use this PC much.

Quote:
2nd your system is really old and parts are probate failing

Perhaps the case, but this particular problem is a software problem. Failure of a driver install wouldn't be due to old hardware.

I'll try Driver Sweeper and report back. How do I install the new stuff in the 12.6 hotfix without using the Catalyst install manager?
January 18, 2013 1:44:28 AM

Success! Of a sort. I'm now using an HD4650 AGP with the 12.6 driver. I found this guy's thread and followed his intructions. (Except I didn't install Catalyst -- what's it for?) Turns out my 'strange loop' problem wasn't uncommon.

I've yet to see if it's fixed the BSOD problem. I'm guessing not, though.

If this (pretty drastic) fix proves not to work I could always try installing 12.4.
January 18, 2013 4:09:56 AM

For anyone still reading this-- I actually have quite a good diagnostic clue as to why I'm getting BSODs.

High-quality video plays (just about) in Zoom Player and GOM Player. No crashes.

But whenever I try to play high-quality video in Media Player Classic I get an immediate BSOD. Any idea why that might be? Does MPC use the graphics card in a different way from the two other programs?

No BSODs from Flash anymore -- which is great.

January 20, 2013 2:55:25 AM

Ach. This thread tells me why I'll never fix this without becoming a tech genius.
!